What color is this Brahma?

Sjisty

Scribe of Brahmalot
12 Years
May 18, 2009
Brooksville
This is Meanie, and she really earns her name. She likes to bite toes, fingers, anything she can reach. She is not a timid girl. She is a LF Brahma, although much smaller than most of my flock. We are very glad she doesn't have teeth!

Anyway, last year I bought a bunch of different colors of Brahma eggs - buff-laced, gold-laced, and red-laced blue (or blue-laced red, I can never remember). I am not sure what bunch Meanie came out of. She doesn't seem to fit into any of these categories. Does anyone have this color and can tell me what she is, or is she a sport?

Thanks for any help!

She's pretty! My hatchery light brahma has a lot of black on her like that, so maybe it is a buff brahma? I really don't know, but I would love to have buff laced brahmas!
smile.png

She looks like mixed colors, though I don't know enough to say which. Probably buff x dark. I never heard of any kind of laced Brahma, only dark, light, and buff.

She looks like she is a from a gold-laced or maybe blue laced reds, because she has blue. Those are currently "project colors" for most brahma breeders, where the parent stock well laced?
I have a SLW/light sussex hen that has almost the same pattern, but in black and white.

She looks like she is a from a gold-laced or maybe blue laced reds, because she has blue. Those are currently "project colors" for most brahma breeders, where the parent stock well laced?
I have a SLW/light sussex hen that has almost the same pattern, but in black and white.

I think she is probably from the blue-laced red eggs, because she doesn't look anything like my gold-laced hen. I'm not sure what the parents looked like because I got the eggs through the mail from another BYC'er last year. Whatever she is, she's a beauty. She has just started laying, so I'll probably try pairing her with my partridge roo and hatch a few of her eggs. Heaven forbid she goes broody - she'd kill anyone who came within 5 feet!

It doesn't matter which stock she came from - the blue laced red or the gold laced - she's very poor quality. The background color on the gold laced should be a rich red-gold and the background on the blue laced red should be even darker. If the "lacing" has more of a blue tint to it, I'd say she's out of the BLR stock.

Back
Top Bottom