What color is this button quail? Strange coloring

2 many chickens

Crowing
Jan 14, 2017
I have a button (king) quail that hatched 6 weeks ago. I have many (over 30) and none have ever looked like this. He has two sisters that hatched with him, they look like him but obviously no white bib and no red or blue feathers.

He has female red breasted color pattern.. but he is a male because he has a white bib and some light redish and blue feathers on his sides... which are typical male colors. Can any fellow button owners help me figure out what color variety he is???

Note; his parents are a red breasted female and red breasted male
I've looked at a few charts online and I can't quite find any that look like this dude.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• 20200102_233613.jpg
    20200102_233613.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 20200102_233417.jpg
    20200102_233417.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 20200102_233335.jpg
    20200102_233335.jpg
    333.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 20200102_233357.jpg
    20200102_233357.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I have the weirdest button (king) quail that hatched 6 weeks ago. I have many (over 30) and none have ever looked like this. He has two sisters that hatched with him, they look like him but obviously no white bib and no red or blue feathers.

He has female red breasted color pattern.. but he is a male because he has a white bib and some light redish and blue feathers on his sides... which are typical male colors. Can any fellow button owners help me figure out what color variety he is??? I have never seen a male or in fact any button like this.

Note; his parents are a red breasted female and red breasted male
I've looked at a few charts online and I can't quite find any that look like this dude.

Thanks!!

He looks like a red breasted getting his male colouring in. Someone else may have a better idea, @blackoaktammy will probably be able to help.

It's a young red breasted male. Red breasted can have some pretty strange coloring when they are young. My profile picture is also a juvenile red breasted male. I watched him for months thinking I had a new pattern lol He is six months old now and still has some of his juvenile feathers. Some red breasted males color up pretty quickly, others take months. Here's a couple of pictures of Songbird now.
Songbird Front.jpg Songbird Side.jpg

It's a young red breasted male. Red breasted can have some pretty strange coloring when they are young. My profile picture is also a juvenile red breasted male. I watched him for months thinking I had a new pattern lol He is six months old now and still has some of his juvenile feathers. Some red breasted males color up pretty quickly, others take months. Here's a couple of pictures of Songbird now.
View attachment 1993496 View attachment 1993497
He's gorgeous!
I will update with pictures as he gets older and when he's done growing and fluffing out

Back
Top Bottom