What color is this cochin bantam chick?

No.

Blue to blue gives black, blue, and splash.

But black and splash are both true breeding:
Black to black gives only black.
And splash to splash gives only splash.

Crossing black to splash gives 100% blue chicks.
But then how do you get blue and splash or mottled chicks?

Regardless, the chicks I'm hatching out have yet to be solid black. However, the pair of adults are solid black.

But then how do you get blue and splash or mottled chicks?

You don't get a chick that is "blue and splash."
Splash is a color that includes bits of blue. (That's why it's called splash: there are splashes of blue on the chick.)

If you are talking about hatching chicks, having some blue ones and some splash ones but no other colors, then cross a blue chicken to a splash chicken and you'll get about half each way.

Mottling (white dots on a black chicken) is caused by a different gene. Not the one that causes blue and splash.
A chicken can be black mottled, blue mottled, splash mottled, or something-else-mottled.

Mottling is simply recessive. A chicken with only one copy of the gene does not look mottled at all. But a chicken with two copies of the gene (one from the mother, one from the father) does look mottled. So if your rooster has one copy of the mottling gene, and at least one hen has one copy of the mottling gene, then you can get some chicks that are mottled.

Regardless, the chicks I'm hatching out have yet to be solid black. However, the pair of adults are solid black.

Have any of the chicks grown up yet?

Black chickens often hatch out looking like black-and-yellow penguins. And when they grow their first sets of feathers, it's common to have a few white feathers. And then they grow up to have solid black feathers.

(Chicken colors are weird things!)

You don't get a chick that is "blue and splash."
Splash is a color that includes bits of blue. (That's why it's called splash: there are splashes of blue on the chick.)

If you are talking about hatching chicks, having some blue ones and some splash ones but no other colors, then cross a blue chicken to a splash chicken and you'll get about half each way.

Mottling (white dots on a black chicken) is caused by a different gene. Not the one that causes blue and splash.
A chicken can be black mottled, blue mottled, splash mottled, or something-else-mottled.

Mottling is simply recessive. A chicken with only one copy of the gene does not look mottled at all. But a chicken with two copies of the gene (one from the mother, one from the father) does look mottled. So if your rooster has one copy of the mottling gene, and at least one hen has one copy of the mottling gene, then you can get some chicks that are mottled.

Have any of the chicks grown up yet?

Black chickens often hatch out looking like black-and-yellow penguins. And when they grow their first sets of feathers, it's common to have a few white feathers. And then they grow up to have solid black feathers.

(Chicken colors are weird things!)
I wasn't calling blue and splash the same thing, I was listing them. I don't understand why you're becoming so asinine about my simple original question. Which thanks so overo mare I got my answer of I'll just have to wait for them to feather out. I know what a black chick looks like, I've hatched out barred rocks, and ayam armani several times and I'm used to their patterns and how the black begins to feather out. My third chick hatched and fluffed white, and is now growing blue pin feathers, hence my assumption of it being splash. My fourth chick, is the one I asked an opinion on what color it would be, which from the two other people and my own answer, I'm leaning towards mottled, but we'll see. The pictures of the chicks provided, are clearly not of them grown. If they were grown, I wouldn't be asking what color is this chick.

I don't understand why you're becoming so asinine about my simple original question.

I know what a black chick looks like

Some people come on this site asking really basic questions.
Since you thought that black x black can produce blue chicks and splash chicks, I wasn't sure what else you knew, or what other wrong information you had heard from where.

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to be offensive. I just mis-guessed what level of information you already knew.

Back
Top Bottom