What color is this? Experienced breeders, anyone now?

Thepigeonguy

Songster
Feb 20, 2018
Idaho falls, Idaho, U.S.
I've had this bird for 2 years and never found out his color. This picture is from about a year ago. The lighting isn't good but I can try to get a better picture later. He's a birmingham roller. It was pretty cold outside, too, that's why he's hunched up.
IMG_0084.JPG

My bird's a little lighter than than one, also no pattern except for some occasional dark brown spots. I've also looked through Levi's The Encyclopedia of Pigeon Breeds and couldn't find anything like it. As I said, I will try to get a better picture. Your picture did post.

The darker vs lighter can vary alot depending if its dilute, pale, almond or reduced affecting the color. Sometimes it matters if they get a single or double dose of the allele... I don't pretend to understand all the details. If the bird is a recessive red that just means the genes for recessive red are covering up one of the 3 basic colors. Same with recessive white, neither one is a color, and are not sex-linked. They just prevent the expression of the underlying color.

Back
Top Bottom