What color is this kitty cat?

As for raw diets, they are good for cats, most likely the best option. However, your kitten's coat will probably improve over time with the diet he's on now. Intestinal worms are likely what's causing his malnourishment. The live off the nutrients from their host's food, so they don't get all they need. I've seen puppies die of a severe case of roundworms.

I have not yet fed an exclusive raw diet (I have 3 cats, I can't afford that), but I have researched it for my dog. You can either buy raw cat food, or you can buy a bunch of chicken breasts. Here is a video about switching to a raw meat diet. I think getting pre-packaged cat food would be easiest because feeding directions will come with the food. Once you get use to it, you could save money by purchasing meat on sale and freezing it for later feeding.

Cats and dogs are immune to bacteria in raw meat. However, they can get parasites from some meats, but not usually from storebought meat. I've always been taught not to feed anything raw pork, because they are more likely to carry tapeworm.

I'm pretty sure the three different types are just different flavors, all nutritionally balanced. It depends on what the cat would like best

Im not crazy about raw diets because there are just too many risks for disease, parasites, and just plain doing it wrong.

Dogs and cats are not immune to intestinal diseases. They can in fact get E. coli, Salmonella, among others. Not only that, but they can inadvertently spread these things to you and your children.

Some people do great with Raw and give the correct ratios of muscle meat and offal (visceral) meat, but a lot of people do a really poor job also. Giving the wrong stuff to cats can cause deficiencies in things such as taurine, which can cause irreversible blindness. I would not give raw diet without extensive research. I do think a lot of vets tend to shake their heads at the idea of raw diets because we do see a lot of complications with those diets that the public doesn't necessarily see.

Anyway, people will argue that you have a similar risk of contracting those diseases from dry foods as well, and to some extent that is true. Others claim that vets are against it because "big food companies" pay them exorbitant amounts of money to promote their foods, which is absolutely not true. I want someone to point me in the direction of these companies paying big money because I could use some extra cash!

I do think wet food is infinitely better for male cats than dry, but even C rated foods are not bad foods. They are adequate to meet all the pet's needs and many are quite good. I never quite understood why people are so against manufactured pet food diets.

You can use puppy shampoo as long as it doesn't have any added flea or parasite medicines in it. As far as the weight goes, 2 pounds is not abnormal but I would definitely bring some poop with you in a clean plastic baggy to your vet visit so your vet can run a fecal for you. Ten they can give you appropriate anti parasitics as necessary!

Would ACANA still be better for him than purina? Even if his current food boosts him up from a stray's nutrition, I want him to be the healthiest he can be and since he is young there is lots of time for improvement. I should probably finish his current bag of food, and possibly start off with a small bag of new food to save some money. Plus the raw. Still puzzled, should I give him both at the same time in separate dishes, or have a schedule for each? Thanks for the vid

Im not crazy about raw diets because there are just too many risks for disease, parasites, and just plain doing it wrong.

Dogs and cats are not immune to intestinal diseases. They can in fact get E. coli, Salmonella, among others. Not only that, but they can inadvertently spread these things to you and your children.

Some people do great with Raw and give the correct ratios of muscle meat and offal (visceral) meat, but a lot of people do a really poor job also. Giving the wrong stuff to cats can cause deficiencies in things such as taurine, which can cause irreversible blindness. I would not give raw diet without extensive research. I do think a lot of vets tend to shake their heads at the idea of raw diets because we do see a lot of complications with those diets that the public doesn't necessarily see.

Anyway, people will argue that you have a similar risk of contracting those diseases from dry foods as well, and to some extent that is true. Others claim that vets are against it because "big food companies" pay them exorbitant amounts of money to promote their foods, which is absolutely not true. I want someone to point me in the direction of these companies paying big money because I could use some extra cash!

I do think wet food is infinitely better for male cats than dry, but even C rated foods are not bad foods. They are adequate to meet all the pet's needs and many are quite good. I never quite understood why people are so against manufactured pet food diets.

You can use puppy shampoo as long as it doesn't have any added flea or parasite medicines in it. As far as the weight goes, 2 pounds is not abnormal but I would definitely bring some poop with you in a clean plastic baggy to your vet visit so your vet can run a fecal for you. Ten they can give you appropriate anti parasitics as necessary!
Thanks for the insight! I'm not planning on giving him a 100% raw diet, just as a part of his daily diet (possibly). The shampoo is pro sense odor eliminating puppy shampoo (baby powder scent). I think I'll just use baby shampoo on him, and I'll keep in mind the tip for his vet visit.

Last edited:
BTW Chickerdoodle13, how did you get "The truth is out there" on your display thing?? I must put "Trust no 1" on mine!!!

Would it be better to feed frankenprey and dry, or frankenprey and canned? I don't want to go all raw. And don't cats get a bit of plant nutrients from the stomach contents of their prey? Maybe I could give him a bit of carrots, potatoes, or that grass that people grow for their cats... Or would raw and [canned or dry?] be enough? I know from research that they don't need plants in their diet at all.

Last edited:
Hi there Shelleybean! Sorry it took me a bit of time to reply. We had a test Tuesday and I still haven't quite recovered. :p

I'm not exactly sure, but I think I emailed Terrielacy to have the words added under my name. I don't remember if I was able to do that because I was a golden feather member, but I think that might be one of the perks of becoming a GFM. Its worth checking into or sending Terrilacy a PM to ask about.

As far as cat food goes, I would probably opt for canned food over dry food, especially in male cats due to the risk of urinary blockage in males. If the main portion of his diet comes from the canned food, you should not have to supplement much else. Cats really don't need any vegetable matter (Seems you know they are obligate carnivores) and I couldn't imagine trying to get a cat to eat anything veggie!

I would also recommend looking into an insurance plan for your little guy, especially if he is a male. Plans are generally really inexpensive for cats and can be a lifesaver should your little guy ever have an emergency, like uranary blockage. Blockage is really common in male cats, and can easily run a couple thousand dollars for the first incident. Most cats that block once will recur in their lifetime and its really sad when owners have to put them down because they can't afford to treat. Pet insurance really has been saving lives, and I have it for my dog. I use Petplan and I've been very happy with them, but there are tons of companies out there depending on your needs and how much you want to pay.

I gotcha... And insurance for a kitten? Lol almost makes him sound like an item, but I'll look into that. I heard about that blockage with my male persian, he still was fed dry-_- The cat that scratched my sister in the face:-( Well now I have Cherish and I want him to have a chance. Vet, raw food and trimming claws and everything will be alright^-^

Back
Top Bottom