1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What Color Is this Peachick?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Niquolette, Jan 24, 2016.

1. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

Even though I have heard the same on one of my IB's with that exact same black patch in its shoulder, I have been told otherwise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I posted these pics on @zazouse FaceBook page and I was told by at least three people including AugeredIn and Othman, or it may have been Claude, that mine is a very pure IB.

Having said that, and IF that is the case, I think that your IBBS hen is probably carrying a white gene from the White cock as the IBBS hen is very light in color.

2. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    Hmm...well as you know I am definitely not a genetics expert!!!

However, we only had boys that had no markings at all on their shoulders (barring only), or boys that looked like this:

[​IMG]

And we would up with an IBBS baby, Little Yellow:

[​IMG]

So I made the assumption that the boys with the shoulder marking were split to BS...[​IMG] Perhaps an incorrect assumption!!

3. KsKingBee

Just because that is what I was told doesn't mean that they are right. [​IMG] The split to Black Shoulder makes sense to me, I kind of wanted to believe that. However, a bird does not have to have any outward phenetic signs to be carrying a gene of either pattern or color.

4. KsKingBee

BTW, that is a beautiful hen!

5. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    Thanks @KsKingBee !

To be honest, I like this split to BS explanation because it is so straightforward for someone like me who really doesn't know anything about pea genetics.
    It is perfectly possible that the explanation for our IBBS girl was much more convoluted and confusing, involving hidden genetics...
    I don't envy you all of your super-confusing genetics, although your resulting birds are so gorgeously varied and wonderful!

6. LehighCounty4-H

LehighCounty4-H Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2015
    Macungie, Pa
    the second one looks like a cameo splash i breed cameos so i know the color very well

7. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Looks like a Black Shoulder peahen. That means one of the hens is carrying the BS gene as well. With hens I don't think you can tell. I've always believed that solid black coverts with barring coverts is a sign of split to Black Shoulder. If there are solid black where there should be barring sometimes that's Spalding.

8. KsKingBee

Cameo Splash? Someone needs to tell the UPA about that one.

9. Dany12

Dany12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Hungary
    I think it's Spaldings ancestors!

10. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    X2.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by