What color phase is this Bobwhite?

Jedwards

Songster
8 Years
Aug 5, 2014
Pennsylvania
I bought 2 bobwhite at the feed mill today, they were in a bin of mixed Mexican speckled and snowflake. I liked them because they are dark but I’m not sure what this color would be? I tried to research and the closest I found was Tennessee red but these are more blackish. They almost remind me of Tibetan coturnix…Any thoughts? I put them in with my recently hatched speckled.

Attachments

• A8F04902-D75C-4042-9097-6FF325635B2A.jpeg
    A8F04902-D75C-4042-9097-6FF325635B2A.jpeg
    727.5 KB · Views: 77
There are 22 subspecies of Bobwhite Quail so it's hard to say. They don't look like Tennessee Reds to me. Almost looks like a Wood Quail, can you ask at the feed mill as to where they acquired these birds?

There are 22 subspecies of Bobwhite Quail so it's hard to say. They don't look like Tennessee Reds to me. Almost looks like a Wood Quail, can you ask at the feed mill as to where they acquired these birds?
As far as they are concerned those quail are Mexican speckled. Haha. I am in the heart of Mennonite/Amish land and there are countless auctions where “breeds” and color phase are not always accurate.

As far as they are concerned those quail are Mexican speckled. Haha. I am in the heart of Mennonite/Amish land and there are countless auctions where “breeds” and color phase are not always accurate.
SO many varieties of Bobs, makes your head spin! :D I do like the Snowflakes and the Mexican Speckled, I'm tired of looking at the standard Bobwhite. :lol:

I see 1 Snowflake, the rest are Mexican Speckled and the two dark ones are most likely a cross between a Northern Bobwhite and a Tennessee Red Bobwhite.

Back
Top Bottom