What Color & Sex are these Giant Cochin Chicks? New Updated Photos

bremat

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 7, 2009
KY
So now that these chicks have feathered out a little more I was hoping that someone might have more ideas on the sex and color? One is still feathered out a lot more than the other one. Thank you!
original post:
What color and sex do you think these are? One of them is more feathered out on the wings than the other. Could I possibly have one of each here? Or is it just to early to tell? I found some pics online that looked like these that were called lemon blue. Do you think that is what they are?

Here they are back on May 10th
30566_100_2476.jpg

30566_100_2480.jpg

Here they are today:
30566_100_2504.jpg

30566_100_2496.jpg

Last edited:
They look like Splash chicks to me. It is possible they could be lemon blue. It looks like you have a pair, but I would wait a few more weeks to see how the combs develop to be sure.

I actually have a question, how big do those cochins get? My neighbor told me about them and wants some, but the way she described them, she can't be serious. She said they get above the knee in height! Jersey Giants don't even get that big, do they? I'm just curious...

Quote:
I wish that I had taken pictures of the breeders this guy had where I bought these! They are huge- 12-13 lbs (for the hen) from what he said. They were tall AND round. Very majestic looking. They were absolutely beautiful. My DH and I talked about it before we went to buy from him and we thought we did not want the giants UNTIL we saw them. I saw some eggs on e-bay and the lady said she took pictures of hers for one person next to a five gallon bucket for comparison to see just how big they are. The rooster was a good head taller than the bucket and the hen was a little taller than the bucket. And they are proportioned like a regular cochin. They are almost as wide as they are tall, if you can imagine that! Hence the name GIANT, I guess-LOL. I can't wait to see what mine will look like when grown.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom