What color should easter egger chicks legs be?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by AnimalFriend<3, Jan 22, 2011.

1. AnimalFriend<3

AnimalFriend<3 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2011
    I have some easter egger chicks on the way and I was wondering what color their legs should be. I know typically the adults have the green/slate legs but most of the chicks I've seen have had orange/yellow legs. Will it change as they get older? Will they not lay the blue or green eggs if they have yellow legs? Please add pictures if you have them. Any advice on this breed is welcomed. Thanks![​IMG]

2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Green or Blue I believe. I have two with green legs and one with blue. They were pritty much the same colors as chicks as when they grew up; they just got a little darker with age.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  3. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Most are green and blue as I think they should be to be an EE. There are those that are breeding out to other breeds coming up with yellow legs and are calling them Easter Eggers just because they lay green or blue eggs though.

4. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Easter eggers are mutts, they have no set standard.. Ameracauna's, and Aracauna's do, but EE's do not. EE's are the mutts of said previous breeds, they may come white, yellow, blue, green, black legged. Single, pea, rose, etc comb. Silkie feathered, non-Silkie feathered.. You name it..

The typical EE though, does indeed have green/blue legs. They may be yellow at first, or yellow with a green tint and will change with age.. Or they may stay, or that may come with green legs straight out of the shell. Depends on the genetic background.

-Daniel

1 person likes this.
  5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

There is no standard. I have had EEs with greenish legs, slate legs as well as yellow legs, so there is no set color they should be, unlike Ameraucanas who must have slate legs.

6. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds &amp; Bees

I have 3 EEs that have yellow legs ~ 2 lay green eggs and the other a pale brown...

[​IMG]

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My yellow legged EE lays a beautiful bluish green egg. Leg color has no bearing on egg color.

1 person likes this.
  8. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    They "Shouldn't be" anything, EE is no breed.

9. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Quote:Oh their a breed all right just not a recognized breed per "APA".

10. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Quote:Oh their a breed all right just not a recognized breed per "APA".

EE is something that lays Green/Blue/Pink eggs...that dosn't make them a breed. Their Breed Counter Part would be Araucanas and Ameraucanas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by