What color silkie Rooster to put with a Chocolate silkie hen? *PICS*

reesepoultry

Songster
10 Years
Jul 4, 2009
What color of silkie Rooster do I need to put with my 2 black Split chocolate hens. I had 1 black hen that had chocolate coloring you can see. Then I am not sure who mated her. But I ended up With another hen. Go figure it coulnd't be a rooster. So now I have 2 hens that are black with the chocolate coloring coming through. Should I put a black silkie rooster on them....... I am not sure how I got the other hen.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I would say that you have Dun (hobby name chocolate) and not a true chocolate. In true chocolate, hens can not be split chocolate if they have the chocolate gene in them then they will be chocolate. (they can not hide the gene)

Best comparison is with blue. One dose makes the dark brown
dun, hobby name chocolate. Two doses make dun
splash, hobby name khaki. Dun color breeds as
follows:

Two doses (dun splash or khaki) breed true, so 100% dun splash or
khaki.
Dun splash x black will give dark brown dun (100%).
Dun splash x dark brown dun gives dun splash (50%), dark brown dun (50%).
Dark brown dun x dark brown dun gives dun splash (25%), dark brown (50%) and black (25%).
Dark brown dun x black gives 50% dark brown dun and 50% black

Chris

Last edited:
Ok so put the 2 hens with what color to get best results..... you kinda lost me lol.... I will try to get pics of them tomorrow during day light. You can see the chocolate (dun) coloring showing through. Yes, they carry the gene like you said not split. That was my mistake.

Last edited:
Okay, So since I don't have anymore with the chocolate gene. If I am understanding this right. I should put the 2 hens with a Black rooster to maybe get some dun.

Ok, here are some quick pics I just took.

GEDC3794.jpg

GEDC3792.jpg

GEDC3791.jpg

GEDC3790.jpg

Here is a pic of the Dun colored one next to a black silkie hen:
GEDC3793.jpg

Back
Top Bottom