What color silkies?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jasmtnljj, Sep 9, 2011.

1. jasmtnljj

jasmtnljj Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2011
    They are from Ideal Hatchery- about 2 weeks old. I know the black ones and I assume the white ones are white... but i am not sure on the other ones. I had two that i thought were buff and those ones died last week. I am thinking that perhaps these are red silkies? and one on the right is a partridge or are they all partridges? (minus the black and white ones)

[​IMG]

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    They look partridge to me.

3. jasmtnljj

Sep 7, 2011
    On the comment section when I ordered i said i wanted anything other than white, black and partridge if they could please do that... (it was an assortment and thus i figured it was a long shot) but i think they got me backwards and thought i was requesting them *sighs* I am still holding out hope though for reds. I know my RIRs start out with a barring color with black too but when they mature they turn solid. I tried searching through old threads here but I couldn't find anyone who had red chicks to compare.

4. brandoncakes

brandoncakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Kailua, HI
    I used to have red silkies, they should be much redder than that. [​IMG]

My buffs had some barred wing feathers though. Usually in assortments, they don't pay attention to customer requests. Sorry bought that [​IMG]

5. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I highly doubt those will turn out to be reds, sorry.

6. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    Looks like partridge to me.

7. jasmtnljj

Sep 7, 2011
    well... i guess I better find a private breeder then and just sell these ones off when they get fully feathered out. I jumped at their $1 each sale hoping i would end up with some colors i wanted. I don't have high amounts of money to be spending on the really really really beautiful ones so i was trying to be cheap. Instead I have ended up utterly disappointed. In the spring i will have to look around on HERE to find someone to buy hatching eggs from. I had two nice quality gray bearded silkies(bought at a sale) that a hawk took from me and i really want to replace them and get into raising silkies more. Shame on me for trying to be cheap about it. There is just not much comparision between hatchery and SQ silkies as i have learned ever so quickly on this website.

8. jasmtnljj

Sep 7, 2011
    or rather i can be oriental for the day and have some silkie soup... i posted white silkies on craigslist and not a single person has shown interest in the 2 weeks the have been on there. Ah well... live and learn

9. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Quote:I don't know what you would call them but it seems like anything with red and black is labeled partridge now...

10. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    The red silkies that I got from Ideal looked just like those...I know they don't look 'red' like they should but they are Ideal's red silkies...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by