What color/type are these quail?

Why I stand my eggs all through the hatch. Just works better.

But Shelleyd and and are you saying my sweet little babies in there might have some BW in them?
hmm.png

Is that why they stand a bit tall with longer seeming legs and are a bit more narrow of the chest (so far). I can always spot the 6 even the 3 Jumbo Browns.
big_smile.png
They are only 2 days older than the rest, but so far keeping up with them.

So maybe I don't want to put Vanilla in a Gold Breeder Pen.
smile.png
(By the way, he still has a gold head - pure white body).
cool.png

Quote:
Coturnix and bobwhite crosses are like any other cross (mallard X muscovy, canada X domestic goose, horse X donkey) in that the babies will be sterile. So any that this one 'breeds' won't be fertile. I really do think the one in the picture I quoted is a bob mix, the black head combined with the curved beak just doesn't look like coturnix.

Quote:
Coturnix and bobwhite crosses are like any other cross (mallard X muscovy, canada X domestic goose, horse X donkey) in that the babies will be sterile. So any that this one 'breeds' won't be fertile. I really do think the one in the picture I quoted is a bob mix, the black head combined with the curved beak just doesn't look like coturnix.

STERILITY IN BOB BIRDS IS NOT PROVEN. WHILE IT IS CLAIMED AS IS AT LEAST 4 OR 5 OTHER QUESTIONABLE TRAITS IN THIS ODDITY IT HAS NOT BEEN PROVEN AND THE JAPANESE WHO STARTED THIS LINE STATE OTHERWISE, FERTILITY WAS 50-50 IN MANY OF THE POSTINGS FROM STUDIES I HAVE SEEN ONLINE. THERE'S AS MANY WILD CLAIMS ABOUT BOB BIRDS AS THERE ARE ABOUT A&M'S.

However, Fertiltiy About The Lil Fella In Question Could Be Easily Confirmed If You Like.... Just Give Him His Own Lil Harem And Wait... Collect The Eggs In A Couple Of Weeks And Set Them- The Results Will Surely Tell You Yes Or No
smile.png
At Least For This Lad.
smile.png

Well, that bad boy/girl wouldn't be my first choice for breeding stock. It looks like an androgynous bird to me. A hen that doesn't lay eggs or a roo that doesn't roo
wink.png
Either way...you are/are not rooed, no matter how you look at it.

Are it's toenails as dark as it's beak?

With respect! I'm dismissing the bob bird theory for the moment.

To the op: I wouldn't cull the the bird, because it is so unique! I would just choose another roo to sire the 50 billion chicks you want to raise. Put it in your "3 hots and a cot" pen/s and save it for later.
big_smile.png

I wasn't aware that coturnix and Bobs would cross together. That's rather intersting. You should keep him just to see what his offspring would be and if he is steril or not. It may prove to be a valuable bit of data for the scientific community.
wink.png

I always keep all of my odd ducks. My birchen Sumatra was quite a looker and his offspring were all blues. Go figure.

Is the overly light body typical of the goldens?

That's good to know. I've never seen them before I saw this post.

Are the crosses quite commonly occuring in mixed pens? It seems as though they are, I mean the bobs and coturnix are quite similar.

Quote:
THE 2 DIFFERENT SPECES USUALLY DONT DO THE ROOMMATE THING TOO WELL.... AS WITH ALL GAMEBIRDS THEY SHOULD BE SEPERATED BY SPECES. MOST DONT PLAY WELL IN THE SAND BOX
smile.png

THE BOB BIRD IS CREATED BY COTURNIX ROO OVER BOB HEN(IF HE LIVES LONG ENOUGH TO GET THE JOB DONE...) ITS NOT A NEW CREATION, THE JAPANESE STARTED TOYING WITH IT SOME TIME AGO. IF YOU LOOK THERE'S ALOT OF HISTORY AND INFO AVAILABLE OUT THERE ABOUT IT.

ANY BOB BIRDS I HAVE SEEN( WE TRIED THEM 6 OR 8 YRS AGO FOR DOG TRAINING= BAD IDEA) LOOK MORE LIKE WEIRD COTURNIX THAN BOBS.... THEY ARE USUALLY STRANGE LOOKING COTURNIX-LIKE BIRDS WITH BOB FACIAL FEATURES SUCH AS THE MORE CURVED & SHORTER BLACK BEAKS, MORE PROMINENT BROW WITH DEEP SET EYES, AND BLACK TOENAILS( GOOD EYE FOR DETAIL JOE!) SOME DO MANAGE TO GET THAT BOB FACIAL STRIPE THING. FROM ALL INFO I HAVE SEEN ON THE SUBJECT IT WAS A THEORY OF GETTING THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS--- THE ROACH-LIKE QUALITIES OF COTURNIX( EXPLOSIVE GROWTH AND FASTER MATURITY AS WELL AS PROLIFIC BREEDERS/LAYING CAPACITY, AND THE SIZE AND TASTE OF BOBS. WHAT THEY ENDED UP WITH WAS A SLOW MATURING, MID TO SMALLER SIZED BIRD WITH THE BOBS LAYING CAPACITY AND NO MARKET. PRETTY MUCH THE MIRROR'S OPPOSITE IMAGE OF THEIR IDEA/ INTENTION. AS MOST EXPERIMENTS IN COMPROMISE ---- IT FAILED. REMEMBER THE MOVIE "TWINS" WITH SCHWARTZENEGGER AND DEVITO? SCHWARTZENEGGER WAS THE IDEAL HUMAN SPECIMEN, AND DEVITO WAS "ALL THE CRAP THAT WAS LEFT OVER"? --- THERE YA GO
smile.png

IF HOWEVER YOUR INTO BIZARRE OR DIFFERENT EYE CANDY-- WELL IT'LL DO THAT!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom