What color will I get?

Sfraker

Songster
5 Years
Feb 17, 2014
Western NC
I have a lavendar female and a pearl grey male. What color can I expect?

Any chance there is a website that states if you mix these two colors you get this? I see those for dogs and horses but have not had any luck finding any for guineas. I would like to add to my little flock of 5 next year and want to make some good choices for colors.

Thanks for your help!

Any chance there is a website that states if you mix these two colors you get this? I see those for dogs and horses but have not had any luck finding any for guineas. I would like to add to my little flock of 5 next year and want to make some good choices for colors.

Thanks for your help!

I've got little knowledge on guineas, but have heard that lavender is not reliable, you can't guarantee it. But as you mentioned it's not easy to find info on them. Check this site out --- it has all sorts of links, if I recall correctly I found information from a guinea fowl breeder among those links somewhere about color breeding:
Quote:
I did try to find you the link I saw before but there's so many in there, lol, it would take me a long time.

Best wishes.

Thanks for your help!

I have been told that Pearl Grey is a dominant genetic factor and all the keets from a pairing of other colors and Pearl Grey will end up being Pearl Grey. I have found this to be true in my own flock. The Pearl females always produce the Pearl keets even tho my males are Coral Blue and Buff Dundotte. I have increased the size of my flock by adding Coral Blue and Lavender females and this summer I had some very unusual colored keets including Porcelain and Browns. I still haven't figured put which pairing produced these colors.
hmm.png

Thanks for your help!

Simple answer is that if your pearl gray does not have any hidden recessive genes, all of the offspring will be pearl grays. Because of the recessive blue gene that the lavender has, all of the offspring will have at least the recessive blue gene which can then show up in future generations by mating brother to sister or by mating a son back to his lavender mother.

The problem with your pearl gray guinea is that you can't tell whether or not he has any hidden recessive genes by looking at him. If he came from hatchery stock, he most likely does not have any hidden recessive genes. If he came from someone's mixed flock then he may have recessive genes hiding in there.

This site offers some insight into the heredity factors relating to color and pearling.

http://www.guineafowl.com/fritsfarm/guineas/genetics/

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom