What colors are my D'anvers chicks?

Just a few more photos of these cute little ladies. They were added to the rest of the flock a few weeks ago and are settling in with the other birds nicely. Everyone roosts together and they all move together as an adorable group.

Attachments

• IMG_4510.jpg
    IMG_4510.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4558.jpg
    IMG_4558.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4492.jpg
    IMG_4492.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 264137904_10161457123306040_1352038079873041654_n.jpg
    264137904_10161457123306040_1352038079873041654_n.jpg
    839.6 KB · Views: 12
Probably because people on facebook are much more likely to say something when they know nearly nothing about it.
#Fact

I can hardly stand to look at the FB chicken groups. I have to be in a real self-loathing sort of way to get into it.
I have a lavender orpington that is so ratty looking and I lowkey hate it.
I laughed. lol I'm so glad mine had good feathers, but the majority of the birds from hatcheries look wretched.

Hello everyone. These birds have now been laying eggs for a couple months. I'm not sure when their bodies and feathers are considered completely mature, but I consider laying to be a landmark for maturity. I took these photos myself, which means they are not as wonderful as the shots my husband takes, but I like a few of them. I think my birds are actually quite beautiful as mature adults, but I would love input from professional bird eyeballers to tell me where my birds excel and where they don't. Someday I would like to show.

I have greenfire farms barbu de watermael eggs coming in the mail tomorrow. Excited to see what happens. I love the belgian bantam and would like to breed for show.

Attachments

• IMG_5065.jpg
    IMG_5065.jpg
    699.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5046.jpg
    IMG_5046.jpg
    505.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5044.jpg
    IMG_5044.jpg
    521.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4994.jpg
    IMG_4994.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4992.jpg
    IMG_4992.jpg
    382.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5079.jpg
    IMG_5079.jpg
    501.3 KB · Views: 6
Hello everyone. These birds have now been laying eggs for a couple months. I'm not sure when their bodies and feathers are considered completely mature, but I consider laying to be a landmark for maturity. I took these photos myself, which means they are not as wonderful as the shots my husband takes, but I like a few of them. I think my birds are actually quite beautiful as mature adults, but I would love input from professional bird eyeballers to tell me where my birds excel and where they don't. Someday I would like to show.

I have greenfire farms barbu de watermael eggs coming in the mail tomorrow. Excited to see what happens. I love the belgian bantam and would like to breed for show.
They are lovely! Porcelain, mille fluer, and lavender gold Columbian.
They are still pretty young, but I think they lack some in type. Shorter backs, thicker necks, and a more upright stance with a high tail angle (which helps shorten the appearance of the back) would be preferable. They appear to have nice full, upright breasts with good coloring. A fuller beard with a wider head would be preferable, the heads are supposed to be large and owl-like in appearance.
Some of the things I mentioned can be improved with age when they get the muscles and bones to "fill" that coat of feathers.
It sounds like all bad news, but don't be discouraged, you're not behind anyone else. They seem like good specimens for their colors. Any color other than quail really needs attention in d'Anvers and hasn't met the same level of perfection.

They are lovely! Porcelain, mille fluer, and lavender gold Columbian.
They are still pretty young, but I think they lack some in type. Shorter backs, thicker necks, and a more upright stance with a high tail angle (which helps shorten the appearance of the back) would be preferable. They appear to have nice full, upright breasts with good coloring. A fuller beard with a wider head would be preferable, the heads are supposed to be large and owl-like in appearance.
Some of the things I mentioned can be improved with age when they get the muscles and bones to "fill" that coat of feathers.
It sounds like all bad news, but don't be discouraged, you're not behind anyone else. They seem like good specimens for their colors. Any color other than quail really needs attention in d'Anvers and hasn't met the same level of perfection.
Thank you for your input. I agree, I feel like there are some certain nitpicks that could be improved upon. I think they are a good start and when I am ready for a rooster I hope he is a great fit for these girls to improve them. I wish that at any point during my picture taking that they "postured". They will stand up straight with their wings down and their tail fanned very beautifully, but they do it when the camera is in the house, you know? I hope more people become interested in belgian bantams. I am very pleased with them. out of the three I kept, one has a very kind and charming personality and doesn't mind to be picked up. I would like to be very picky about personality when I start breeding myself. Form is very important but I think an ornamental bird should also be charming and personable. This breed seems to have garnered itself a reputation of napoleon complex roosters and I wonder if that's a trait that can be bred out.

Thank you for your input. I agree, I feel like there are some certain nitpicks that could be improved upon. I think they are a good start and when I am ready for a rooster I hope he is a great fit for these girls to improve them. I wish that at any point during my picture taking that they "postured". They will stand up straight with their wings down and their tail fanned very beautifully, but they do it when the camera is in the house, you know? I hope more people become interested in belgian bantams. I am very pleased with them. out of the three I kept, one has a very kind and charming personality and doesn't mind to be picked up. I would like to be very picky about personality when I start breeding myself. Form is very important but I think an ornamental bird should also be charming and personable. This breed seems to have garnered itself a reputation of napoleon complex roosters and I wonder if that's a trait that can be bred out.
Yeah, I get that. Some very good d'Anvers can look poor because of the way they are standing. Upsetting when you're trying to show them or photograph them and they go potato. Yes, that's the stance you want, wings down, tails up. You got it.
Yours do look nice, I was judging them by how they look today, though they will fill out.

Yeah, I get that. Some very good d'Anvers can look poor because of the way they are standing. Upsetting when you're trying to show them or photograph them and they go potato. Yes, that's the stance you want, wings down, tails up. You got it.
Yours do look nice, I was judging them by how they look today, though they will fill out.
Thanks. You are cool.

I think I have cellphone pictures of them doing exactly what I want them to do, but they are the opposite of DSLR camera with appropriate lenses. It's also just straight up cold right now to take pictures. So cold. My tolerance for standing around waiting for chicken to hold her tail up in 10f standing in 8 inches of freshly fallen snow is about 15 minutes give or take, and then I'm done lmao.

Back
Top Bottom