What colors are my guinea keets?

icyangel222

Songster
7 Years
Nov 5, 2012
MN
I went to this site http://www.guineafowl.com/fritsfarm/guineas/colors/ but I still have trouble figuring them out. I think the photo colors and descriptions are slightly off, plus they're missing a few on that site.

Keet #1: Very light blue blushed backside, the head is richer in color, broken blue striping with tan inbetween. Wings are clear but upon closer inspection the "white" appears to be powdered a very slight blue/gray color. I originally thought it could be a Porcelain, but after fluffing out some more it could be Opaline, Lavender, or Buff. But now I think it's a Coral Blue. What do you guys think?

Keet #2: Colors and patterns on the back are undefined, I see black striping with gray-tan inbewteen. The head is a rich tan with broken black striping. The wings are all white. There isn't really any that match exactly according to the website, I originally thought it was a Royal Purple but could also be a Chocolate. What do you think?

Keet #3: Looks almost exactly the same as #2, but back striping is more undefined.

Keet #4: Has really interesting coloration. The whole back/head appears to be patternless. There's light blue and tan kind of mixed together, including on the wings when the others have mostly white wings. My best guess is this is a lavender but it has more blue then tan compared to the photo on the website. So far hasn't quite fluffed out all the way for me to be 100%.

Sorry for my pictures not doing 100% justice. If needed I can take more pics tomorrow in natural lighting.
This is a list of all the possible keets I could get from the lady I bought the eggs from: Coral Blue, Royal Purple, Brown, Chocolate, and Porcelain. And Lavender, White, Ivory, Buff, Buff Dundotte, Pearl, and Pieds.

try this site http://www.guineafowlinternational.org/colorchart/ it has a great guide, color chart to help you,
also PeepsCA is excellent at telling their colors...when she sees this post feel sure she can tell you..

I think keets # 2 and 3 are partial pearled royal purples... so am curious if I am right when Peeps chimes in..
my guess on keets 1 and 4 would be coral blues but honestly unsure...

good luck....will check back and see what others think

I"m not sure (critters is right, PeepsCA will know) but I like to guess, because I'm trying to learn the different colors...The two brown ones look more like Chocolates to me than Royal Purples. The two are very similar as keets, but the Royal Purples are generally darker (?) and the dark head markings on the RPs have more of an "hour glass" shape to them. At least that's been my limited experience. The blue/grays? I have NO idea. LOL. I haven't started on those colors yet.

If you can get clearer pictures, and focus in on their head markings that will help a lot - at least for me
big_smile.png
. The bottom line is they're ALL cute!

I'll take a stab at it. In order of the photos: coral blue, royal purple, royal purple, lavender

I'm not 100% sure on any of them, but I think you're very good at trying to figure this out.

I can usually give pretty good guesses from pics posted... but these pics have too much lighting and are really grainy, so the color and detail isn't clear enough for me to make positive IDs. Plus the keets don't quite look all the way dried/fluffed... and to be able to make positive IDs I need to see dry fluffy heads to see what the head markings and the color shades really look like... so yah, please post additional pics if possible. And unless the seller has her adult birds separated into breeding groups... the list of keet color/variety possibilities could be a lot longer than what's listed.

Just going by these pics tho I'd say you do have a Coral Blue, 2 Royal Purples and a Lavender. The Coral Blue may be a Lite Blue, the 2nd Royal Purple may be a Bronze (I'm highly doubtful it's a Chocolate), and the Lavender may be a non-pearled Sky Blue... but I'd need to see better pics to be more positive tho.

The color chart critters posted the link to is a pretty good one, but I don't agree with all of their pics and descriptions (there just isn't a 100% perfect/accurate chart available out there, as of yet)... that one does cover the basic most common varieties fairly well tho.

I know the GFIA Color Chart would be much better if we had some of your pictures, Peeps. We only have limited access to quality photos, so any that would better represent the varieties you have concerns about would be very much appreciated. As to the descriptions, we cannot use descriptions from other sites word for word, so we try the best we can to recreate the descriptions. If you have a better way to describe certain colors/varieties, we'd certainly be interested in learning more. The GFIA Guinea Fowl Color Chart is an evolving display of the guinea fowl that have been purchased from major guinea fowl hatcheries around the United States, but we are definitely open to constructive criticism.

well, by the pics shown and Peeps thoughts by those pics, I wasn't too far off....agree that #3 does have that bronze coloring after Peeps mentioned ...
also would like to see new, better head shots...
like the others I too am trying to learn the colors....

Peeps, by these pics above, would you think the royal purples to be partial pearls? (just by what we can see?)

waiting for new pics.....
caf.gif

Yes critters, Royal Purples are in the partially-pearled variety. So are Coral Blues, Chocolates, Buffs etc. As babies/juveniles they are all heavily pearled, and can be have a pearling pattern very similar to the fully-pearled variety, so that can be deceiving, but the partially-pearled variety keets (no matter the color) all lose the extra pearling as they go they their molts a few times before they are fully mature.

Back
Top Bottom