What colour is she? Pictures included

CascadiaRiver

Songster
9 Years
Dec 12, 2014
Pacific Northwest
Shes a buttin quail, doesnt look like her parents wondering what it was.

HI, I am really new to raising button quail, but have one that looks just like yours and posted a picture on here and was told it was.......see pict....hope I am giving you the correct info....

The bird on the first post is a little young, I'm not confident enough to say it's a red breasted yet. But it does have some things in common with a red breasted female indeed.
The white spot in the throat leads me to think it could be a single factor tuxedo / pied (sometimes I think that's the same thing - other times people refer to them as different mutations?) too, but that's partially based on my own theories of the genetics of the tuxedo mutation. Tuxedo is usually referred to as a dominant mutation but I have a tuxedo male with 2 wild colored females and they recently had 9 chicks of which not a single one appears to be tuxedo, but several if not all have a few white wing feathers or a white throat spot, so I think the mutation is in fact incomplete dominant.

The bird on the first post is a little young, I'm not confident enough to say it's a red breasted yet. But it does have some things in common with a red breasted female indeed.
The white spot in the throat leads me to think it could be a single factor tuxedo / pied (sometimes I think that's the same thing - other times people refer to them as different mutations?) too, but that's partially based on my own theories of the genetics of the tuxedo mutation. Tuxedo is usually referred to as a dominant mutation but I have a tuxedo male with 2 wild colored females and they recently had 9 chicks of which not a single one appears to be tuxedo, but several if not all have a few white wing feathers or a white throat spot, so I think the mutation is in fact incomplete dominant.

When checking colour on another bird that also has the white primaries and white spot on throat i was told it was called split or split tuxedo. And i did have red breasted in with her, her mom is likely the red breasted that has since now escaped but she looked like the average red breasted while this one, idk it just has a lot of the little black lacing marks all over. And her head is coming in dark.

"She" seems to be getting red feathers... I assume I will need to add her to my current tally of 3 males? God i hope its a female since i only have 1 lair but i have a feeling its never gonna make me eggs huh?

Back
Top Bottom