What could be wrong with Emmy's eye?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EggsellentHens, Aug 28, 2013.

1. EggsellentHens

EggsellentHens New Egg

Aug 21, 2013
    Oneida, NY
    Just got home and let my girls out. Emmy did not come out - she was just standing in the coop. I went in to discover that there is something wrong with her eye. I am going to attach a picture of each eye so you can see. Any ideas on treatment? Thank you!
    Trouble eye:
    [​IMG]
    Another Trouble eye Pic:
    [​IMG]
    Good Eye:
    [​IMG]

2. MadabtChickens

MadabtChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2012
    near Branson, MO
    Looks like it might have been pecked, or something may have gotten into it. You can try flushing it with water and putting some artificial tears in it.

3. EggsellentHens

EggsellentHens New Egg

Aug 21, 2013
    Oneida, NY
    Going to start with flush

4. EggsellentHens

EggsellentHens New Egg

Aug 21, 2013
    Oneida, NY
    Ran to Tractor Supply and picked up some eye med. Interestingly, when we were trying to get the meds in Emmy's eye, the rooster pecked another hen in the face! Upon close inspection, it does look like this may be his work as well. Let's see how this medicine works. It was really sad to just see her frozen in place unable to walk, drink or eat. We did try to feed her by hand.

5. MadabtChickens

MadabtChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2012
    near Branson, MO
    How is she doing?

6. EggsellentHens

EggsellentHens New Egg

Aug 21, 2013
    Oneida, NY
    Thanks for asking! We went to Tractor Supply and got her some special eye drops. It has healed up nicely. Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by