What could be wrong with her neck?

Thank you everyone for your input! I’ve shifted into the thinking that it’ll be best for her to be euthanized. I’ll update with input from the vet tomorrow for BYC people searching for the same issues in the future.
For inquiring minds and for Byc people searching threads: the vet did an ultrasound and saw what looked to be the shape of one very large egg inside her ovary. She (the vet) couldn’t tell if it was an egg or if it was a lump, but it had an egg shape and was solid. She didn’t see any other eggs behind it.

She didn’t do an x ray, but said the weird neck protrusion was her neck, from the way she was holding herself from being uncomfortable/possibly in pain. 😭

Her crop was empty, so giving papaya enzymes works, but she kept spitting up water and was still declining after fixing her crop issue.

She was humanely euthanized and now she’s under her favorite hydrangea flower bed in the back yard.

Last edited:
I’m sorry to hear about your hen :hugs
Thank you for updating the thread also.

When people think of a chicken being eggbound they often think of the egg getting stuck close to the vent which is an emergency because it also blocks their ability to poop and impacts nerves and circulation etc. But I’ve read that eggs can get stuck further up the salpinx and can actually stay there for quite some time, creating its own set of issues.

I’m sorry to hear about your hen :hugs
Thank you for updating the thread also.

When people think of a chicken being eggbound they often think of the egg getting stuck close to the vent which is an emergency because it also blocks their ability to poop and impacts nerves and circulation etc. But I’ve read that eggs can get stuck further up the salpinx and can actually stay there for quite some time, creating its own set of issues.
Thank you! Yes, I definitely wanted to update because I hate when I’m searching for info, I get to reading through threads, but there’s no update.

Interesting that the vet couldn’t see anymore eggs above that one… makes me cringe thinking it was quite possibly the very last egg that did her in! I wish I was in the room for the ultrasound to see.

Back
Top Bottom