What could be wrong with her neck?

Does the upper part of her neck that is sticking out feel solid or like air? How does the crop feel this am?
The top part is hard like a bone. It’s so strange. I wonder if that’s a mass behind her trachea or something and it’s pushing it outward. Her crop is back to normal, it seems, but we’ll continue with the soft foods for sure.

Did you mention that her crop was empty this morning? How old is this hen?

I doubt that the bump in the trachea is anything critical or she would be gasping for air. Set that aside for now.

If her crop is still like a water balloon, you should be treating for a yeast infection with miconazole vaginal yeast cream. Get it where they stock the menstrual products. Get the cream as it's most cost efficient.

When giving any med to a chicken, it's folly to expect the chicken to "take" it any more than a toddler would. Grasp the hen around the wings and body to control her, and pry open her beak by inserting a finger nail and then hold the beak open with a finger in the side while squeezing about half an inch of cream into her mouth. 2x day for seven days.

If this is impacted crop, and it's often in conjunction with sour (yeast) crop, you will be able to feel the solid material. Use your sense of touch and imagination to picture what the clog is - grass is the usual culprit as chickens will often gorge on sweet spring grass. You will need to treat with oil and massage in addition to the miconazole. The link @Eggcessive gave you has detailed instructions.

Did you mention that her crop was empty this morning? How old is this hen?

I doubt that the bump in the trachea is anything critical or she would be gasping for air. Set that aside for now.

If her crop is still like a water balloon, you should be treating for a yeast infection with miconazole vaginal yeast cream. Get it where they stock the menstrual products. Get the cream as it's most cost efficient.

When giving any med to a chicken, it's folly to expect the chicken to "take" it any more than a toddler would. Grasp the hen around the wings and body to control her, and pry open her beak by inserting a finger nail and then hold the beak open with a finger in the side while squeezing about half an inch of cream into her mouth. 2x day for seven days.

If this is impacted crop, and it's often in conjunction with sour (yeast) crop, you will be able to feel the solid material. Use your sense of touch and imagination to picture what the clog is - grass is the usual culprit as chickens will often gorge on sweet spring grass. You will need to treat with oil and massage in addition to the miconazole. The link @Eggcessive gave you has detailed instructions.
Crop is empty this morning

She is an almost 4 year old ISA brown

Given her age and that she's a production breed, it's likely she has a reproductive issue, and sadly, it's high odds it will kill her.

Crop issues are a secondary issue caused by the reproductive issue which could be internal laying, EYP (infection) egg binding, or reproductive cancer.

Given her age and that she's a production breed, it's likely she has a reproductive issue, and sadly, it's high odds it will kill her.

Crop issues are a secondary issue caused by the reproductive issue which could be internal laying, EYP (infection) egg binding, or reproductive cancer.
Agreed. Not sure if you saw the whole thread, but it’s stated on the previous page that she’s going to the vet for a quality of life check and probably euthanasia tomorrow morning. We had a different hen that was given to us with a severe case of internal laying and I will not let this baby experience the same (the previous owners said they didn’t know). I’m updating the question, too. Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
Yes, I read the whole thread. I sympathize. I got four production breeds a few years ago, and all but one has died of reproductive issues. It's very sad as I am very attached to all my chickens. The heartache is intense when I lose one. I have refused to bring home any more sex links and high production breeds. These are bred for commercial laying operations, not backyard pets where we desire that they live longer than two years.

Yes, I read the whole thread. I sympathize. I got four production breeds a few years ago, and all but one has died of reproductive issues. It's very sad as I am very attached to all my chickens. The heartache is intense when I lose one. I have refused to bring home any more sex links and high production breeds. These are bred for commercial laying operations, not backyard pets where we desire that they live longer than two years.
Same, I will never buy another, especially after seeing how far it went with the hen that was given to me. The egg production complications are no joke and it’s so sad. It’s almost to the point of a meat bird where it can seem inhumane to keep them past a certain age. I’m the same as you about my chickens and this one in particular is my favorite. They’re pets and my daughter and I are 1000% attached.

Thank you everyone for your input! I’ve shifted into the thinking that it’ll be best for her to be euthanized. I’ll update with input from the vet tomorrow for BYC people searching for the same issues in the future.

Thank you everyone for your input! I’ve shifted into the thinking that it’ll be best for her to be euthanized. I’ll update with input from the vet tomorrow for BYC people searching for the same issues in the future.

If it’s an option you can try the suprelorin implant which is a hormonal contraception that stops them from laying for about 3 months. For some hens it only lasts one month and for others up to six, so it is variable.

It won’t cure any underlying issue such as infection, cancer, any egg mass or inflammatory material that may be present in her reproductive tract, but if she isn’t quite on death’s door yet you could give it a chance. It induces moult and they go off their food for a couple of weeks, but it may give her body enough of a break to recover to enjoy life for a little while longer. It can be expensive unfortunately though.

Most of my hens are production breeds that people have rehomed to me and all but one has had reproductive issues. It’s very difficult. The one who hasn’t had issues is my serial brooder. I know people say to discourage serial broodiness because of the impact it has on their body as they lose condition while sitting, but to be honest I actually think it’s a big part of her longevity because she takes breaks from laying for months at a time.

If it’s an option you can try the suprelorin implant which is a hormonal contraception that stops them from laying for about 3 months. For some hens it only lasts one month and for others up to six, so it is variable.

It won’t cure any underlying issue such as infection, cancer, any egg mass or inflammatory material that may be present in her reproductive tract, but if she isn’t quite on death’s door yet you could give it a chance. It induces moult and they go off their food for a couple of weeks, but it may give her body enough of a break to recover to enjoy life for a little while longer. It can be expensive unfortunately though.

Most of my hens are production breeds that people have rehomed to me and all but one has had reproductive issues. It’s very difficult. The one who hasn’t had issues is my serial brooder. I know people say to discourage serial broodiness because of the impact it has on their body as they lose condition while sitting, but to be honest I actually think it’s a big part of her longevity because she takes breaks from laying for months at a time.
Thank you for your kind response and that’s something I never thought about! I’d be thankful for that, too. It’s so heartbreaking seeing them go through this and I’d definitely welcome broodiness!

Back
Top Bottom