What could be wrong with my 10 month old Delaware? **Update**

Oatmeal sounds good. I mixed some of her layer feed in it and she ate. I also gave Bridget boiled egg yolk. Maybe give that a try. Bridget was picky at first. I even had her try a bite of our dog's wet food. In the beginning she wasn't very interested in eating.

I would pick her up and just massage the crop and she seemed comforted in that. One thing she did was drink water. She seemed very thirsty.

I did a lot of reading on impacted crop and I am glad I did not have to take her to our vet or perform surgery. I am a first time chicken mama and I do not know all the answers. I hope your gal gets better. Keep us posted.

It's very hard to see them ill all of a sudden.

Good Luck...would like to see a picture of your gal.

Oh...Just thought of this. Bridget's wattles and comb turned a deep burgundy color while she was ill. It is back to her normal color now. Has your gals' comb and wattles changed color at all?

Quote:
Did you cook the oatmeal or not? I think another complication with mine is that she's so young, 9 weeks. I sent a pm to speckledhen and she just had to put down a 10 week old with crop problems. She said it could be that their musculature is not up to par. I sure hope I can get my chick through this. Her comb and wattles aren't very big yet, but she looks normal and alert. She's getting very spoiled, I know that! Ha!

Quote:
I've heard that feeding them bread can give them impacted crop...

I agree...I won't try that. I'm just kind of "wiping" it on her beak and she kind of licks it off. I don't know what else to do. Chicken people have different views/ideas on everything. I guess it's what worked for you and your chickens. I've not dealt with crop issues before, so I'm at a loss.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom