What could be wrong!

kimmyjay

Chirping
6 Years
May 28, 2013
Michigan
I have a 4 month old bantam that hides from other chickens because gets picked on. She has been keeping to herself and staying far away from the flock. Her feet are feathered and she has a very difficult time walking. She has poor balance and cannot fly. She moves very slowly and seems as if its a struggle. This has been going on for a few weeks. We made her her own special safe place in with the others. She has slowly been declining as she can no longer climb up the ramp to get out as she has to hop each plank and she no longer cares to do so. She sits in her pen and cries until I take her out where she finds the nearest hiding spot. We have since removed her to the hou house. She seems very thin as her neck isn the front almost to a point. Her breathing has become labored and her tail is down and ruffled. She no longer sings and only chirps at me when I enter the room. Could it just be failure to thrive?

I would give her a thorough check of everything--look for lice and mites (even at night after dark with a flashlight,) worm with safegard liquid or valbazen 1/4 ml, then repeat in 10 days, feel her crop to see that it is empty in the mornings, look at her poo. She needs some vitamins and electrolytes to boost her back up, also some probiotics or plain yogurt. Give her some scrambled chopped eggs for some extra protein.

All good advice! Also check for bumble foot if she's having trouble walking. I just dealt with a case of that.

Thank you for the advice. Sadly my little girl lost her battle last night. RIP sweet pea

Back
Top Bottom