what could cause death of 9 month old hen?

emsmommom

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 26, 2013
Hoping to get a reply from someone....very upset over loss of young hen...what are possible causes of death of a 9 month old hen that seemed perfectly normal until late yesterday.

Chickens hide their sickness, they have too, the others will attack a sick hen. Marke's is a common illness that gets young hens. It is a virus found in nature. All birds are exposed, some die right away, some can live with the disease. They may have signs, but can live. Could she have eaten rotten food, moldly feed, any sign of injury? do you live in a freezing climate like me, 20 below at night here If they are not eating well they can freeze in those temps. So sorry for your loss, always stinks.

Egg impactation, external and/or internal parasites, respiratory diseases whether it be bacterial, viral or fungal, injuries, poisoning, environmental issues. The list goes on.

thanks for your reply..no, VERY particular with what goes into the coop and yard. No rotten food. Yes it has been very cold here for the last week. Have checked them all daily for signs of frostbite but they have seemed fine. Have made sure that the house was packed with plenty of straw. She did a curious thing two to three weeks ago...I looked outside at dusk, and while the other three went up into their henhouse to roost like always, Maebelle was alone on the roof of the henhouse. Although it wasnt terribly cold then she had NEVER done that before and I was afraid she would freeze if I left her there..went out lifted her off the roof put her at the bottom of the ramp and prodded her up into the house. That same strange behavior repeated itself the next night and I did the same thing. She had been going to roost normally with the other three ever since. I can't help but wonder if that unusual behavior was somehow connected to her death.

Back
Top Bottom