What Could I Build For Around $50-$100? *Turkey Question on pg. 2*

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CrazyHorse18, Nov 5, 2010.

1. CrazyHorse18

CrazyHorse18 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2010
    Michigan
    I know probably not much, but I was just curious to see if maybe some of you built something for around $50-$100, somewhere in that range? I'm looking for something as low priced as possible, but I know that I probably don't have a lot of options. I'm looking for something to keep my ducks and chickens, and then something separate for my turkeys. Any idea/tips/info/advice is greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    If you are wanting a Lot to keep them safe, then you are going to spend more then that on just plain old chicken wire.

You could build a simple 8'x8' coop for under $100 if you use OSB instead of plywood, shop the damaged wood areas of stores, and do all the work yourself, but you would not have a lot for them.

Matt

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

If you're looking for something NOW, then you're going to be really hard pressed to build anything for more than 3-4 birds for that much money. If you have more time, then you can scout CL for free or super cheap lumber, free sheds, etc. You will definitely need something draft free in your area to overwinter your birds.... Maybe you can find several free dog houses on CL and add doors to them???

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If you have time and energy, and ideally a vehicle, it should not be too difficult. The key is to SCROUNGE STUFF.

Plywood and 2x lumber pieces are not difficult to come by (ask at construction sites, they sometimes discard old concrete form materials and leftover bits of roof decking and such; and keep an eye on the roadside as you drive around in daily life; and check out garage sales and tool/junk or contents auctions). You can also often get free, or at least cheap, windows and used roof tin and leftover shingles and paint and hardware. Screws or nails you will probably have to buy.

The hardest thing to scrounge in most areas is run fencing... if you have farm-contents type auctions in your area, that's the best place to look, or occasionally you'll see people selling used chainlink for cheap [check to make sure it's in usable shape tho]; but you may end up having to pay full retail for fencing.

Pallets can also be really, really useful and often free. (But ask first!). Some people have built fairly large coops almost entirely out of free pallets. If you want to explore this option, DO NOT google around and set your heart on a particular design that someone else built. What you need to do instead is start collecting pallets, preferably plain unpainted untreated-looking ones that are built with a substantial amount of wood. Then once you got a bunch, see what their properties are. If you can disassemble them without ruining most of the wood, that is an option; but in many cases you can't, in which case think about designs where you use them in a modular sort of way. How many of them are the same size/shape/structure as each other? If you have a bunch all the same, you have more freedom of design; if many of yours are different dimensions or structure than the others, you will have to exercise more creativity and may be limited in what designs you can build. There are a bunch of threads on pallet coops so I will not say more here other than: don't forget structural soundness. Just cuz you can stack it up and it can be screwed together and sorta stay that way for now, does not mean it is really sound enough for an animal-occupied long-term structure.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    You could build a whole lot of coop for that kind of $. if you are willing to collect pallets search CL free section for materials. Use a hbitat for humanity stores if one is nearby, or any type of restore. Get hardware [ hinges ect] from savation army type stores and such. Just try to use your csh for fencing and fasteners. Just use your imagination the sky is the limit.

6. CrazyHorse18

Nov 5, 2010
    Michigan
    Thanks for the replies, everyone! Luckily, I live in an area (country) where there are some salvage places I can check out and stuff. Thanks a lot, and I hope I can come up with something neat!

7. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    As far as chickens, if you are going to let them free range during the day and just put them in the coop at night, here's what I did:
    Playhouse: $25
    Wire: $9
    Concrete Blocks: 4 X $1.30 = $5.20
    Pallet: Free
    2X6 for roost: Free (from burn pile of DH)
    Ladder: Free (burn pile scrap, again)
    Zip Ties: maybe $1
    Total cost: $40.20
    [​IMG]

8. tennessee

tennessee Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2010
    Crossville
    Quote:Noodleroo, that is a great set up you have there. Thanks for the photo and idea.

9. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Thank you, it works for me. Of course, I don't have lots of chickens; but for a backyard with few predators, its great. It holds 7 large chickens easily.

10. CrazyHorse18

Nov 5, 2010
    Michigan
    That is an awesome set-up! My chickens free range during the day and go in a little playhouse at night. Well, it's not little. Holds four adult-size chickens and one duck comfortably. That setup has worked since February of this year, which is how long I've had them. I have a wooden shack that I currently use for my rabbits, but I'm moving them to a different setup, and had an idea for it. I'll post a picture of it when I can. It has three windows that open, and a door, of course. I was thinking that since I'll have them free-ranging all day long, I can put a couple of large dog crates (the biggest I can find) in there to keep them at night. I'm getting more chicks and ducks in February of next year, so I have SOME time to plan it. But, I really like the playhouse set-up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by