what could take whole duck

anything. even you neighbor!
hide.gif

My girlfriend had ducks and one day one went missing. No sign of a struggle. Just feathers. This went on for the next three days as well. I finally put traps out and caught a huge bobcat that had apparently been the culprit. Also had a fox problem a while back but now he is on my bedroom floor. Makes a nice throw rug
big_smile.png

Trust me I will. we have been out all day battening down the hatches
big_smile.png
Hubby is so mad and sad. He feels bad cause he didnt lock them up last night. It was warm so he thought he would let them stay in their area and I had to work til 10. Guess I should have checked. This is why I harp at them to get everyone up before dark. Too bad it took this to make them listen. I just hope it was quick and she didnt suffer. I feel horrible that we didnt protect them.

I think you live in an area that has very large hawks (like Goshawks) who will eat ducks, but they usually eat them on the spot and don't carry them away. A coyote might carry them away, but you said it would be very hard to get in your yard other than from above. I'm not sure about an owl as they often can't carry off something like a duck.

Cats, like bobcats, can climb 6 feet fences, I've seen them do it, too. And, they live in very urban areas right under people's noses. You wouldn't even know they were there most of the time.

I would get your remaining duck a companion, but I don't think she'll get depressed without one. It's just fun having two ducks around.

I'm guessing a dog-even though you didn't find any holes or anything-due to the lack of finding feathers.I had a dog take a duck from me before and all that I found was a single feather. I knew it was a dog (bull mastiff) because it came back about a week later. I say arm yourself with a good trap and catch whatever it is. Good luck!

Could be an owl. We are fighting one right now. Have you ever seen one up close? They have like a 4 to 5 foot wing span, and would take a duck. We have one here that has wiped out the roadrunners & quail by our house. He not only hunts at night, but this morning he was sittin in the tree right above our coops! He was checking out our ducks & 1 turkey that we have in a coop.

An owl only leaves a pile of feathers if anything. Then they will fly to a neighboring tree & eat their catch. Don't know if you have em there like we do here but could be. I'm currently trying to get photos of this one but he sees me coming & flys off.

Back
Top Bottom