What could this be?

You mentioned coccidiosis as a possibility. I don't know much about it but can it strike a chicken down in one day?

You mentioned coccidiosis as a possibility. I don't know much about it but can it strike a chicken down in one day?
It can if they are young enough. You can always treat for coccidiosis. Even if they don't have it, the treatment won't hurt them. Here, most people use Corid. It's just a brand name for amprolium. Most use the liquid (pictured below) and put it in their water.

corid.jpg

It can if they are young enough. You can always treat for coccidiosis. Even if they don't have it, the treatment won't hurt them. Here, most people use Corid. It's just a brand name for amprolium. Most use the liquid (pictured below) and put it in their water.

View attachment 2490095
Thanks I got both the medicine for coccidiosis as well as a dewormer. I can't give the two together. I gave the dewormer yesterday afternoon. As usual their droppings are purely liquid water but this time with lots of milky white stuff. One chicken seems a bit active but is making a hiccup kind of sound every few seconds.
Any indications from their droppings and the sound?

Last edited:
Thanks I got both the medicine for coccidiosis as well as a dewormer. I can't give the two together. I gave the dewormer yesterday afternoon. As usual their droppings are purely liquid water but this time with lots of milky white stuff. One chicken seems a bit active but is making a hiccup kind of sound every few seconds.
The droppings might be them discarding the worms. But the hiccup noises... Could it be gapeworm? What kind of worm medicine are you using?

I am at a loss. I wish I could help you more. I'm going to take some more knowledgable people to see if they can help: @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @casportpony

Hi. 10-week old indigenous chicks were fine and active. Then suddenly they became lethargic. Their droppings would continuously be purely water, with maybe a little mucous sometimes. Sometimes they would spit out a few drops of water. They would stay put with eyes closed during the day, drinking a lot but barely eating. One of them could barely walk and it was cold to the touch. However, at sunset it felt warm. The very next morning a number of them were dead. Perhaps they died during the night. What could be the reason?
They are 10 weeks old and it's quite hot so they don't need a heat lamp.
Of the remaining ones, their voices seem weaker than usual. They have bouts where they run about and look fine and then periods where they are too weak to even stand, let alone walk - pale, puffed up with eyes firmly closed. Really puzzling. There is kind of a wheezing sound when some breathe. One who yesterday was very sick looks better.
Can you please post some photos of the chicks and their poop?
Also the products you got to treat for Coccidiosis and for de-worming?

You mention they spit up sometimes - is it mucous or water? Check their crops- are they emptying overnight?
Poultry Feed - is it chick starter, layer feed, grower feed? Photos of the ingredients if possible.
The chicks free roam, but do you have soil that contains small rocks that would be suitable for grit?

Hard to know what's going on with them. I would work on keeping them hydrated. At 10 weeks of age, treating for Coccidiosis would be my first course of action.

I'll try to post the photos. Since I gave them the dewormer yesterday afternoon do I have to wait a few days before giving them the coccidiosis medicine? Or can I give it today? (It's morning here). I've kept the dewormer water away. The one that got sick first has recovered while those that got sick later died. One of those which are sick but alive is continuously gasping. It's the only one doing that.

Last edited:
The coccidiosis medicine

Attachments

• 16107755352683130597752914677812.jpg
    16107755352683130597752914677812.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 16107755515135045157658472132268.jpg
    16107755515135045157658472132268.jpg
    403.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom