What could this be??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Billyj, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Billyj

Billyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Gaffney SC
    I have noticed one of my BO acting sickly. She stands in one spot kinda and keep her eyes closed all the time. She is lethargic and not realy eating kina like she is in a trance. When I go to pick her up, she perks up, and runs away from me like nothing is wrong. Her comb and wattles are turned pale pink. What could be going on? And what could I do to help her?

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    I'm sure you'll get some different opinions, but it seems like the first one I see on this forum for symptoms like these is some sort of parasite - worms, lice, mites... Have you wormed your flock ever? Do you have a wormer on hand? Look for posts by dawg53...he's the wormer guru and knows a lot of great info! Good luck - and good job for being so observant!

3. ChickenGirl165

ChickenGirl165 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Melbourne
    This has happened to me before but after a few hours everything was normal again. My hen was just standing there eyes closing but when i reach in to finally get the chance to touch her she runs away and im like "nooooooooooooooooooooooo" lol.

4. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    I would check her to make sure she isn't cropbound you would feel an almost "ball-like" lump in her crop that won't go away. If this is it, give her warm water/olive oil/yogurt (there are other threads about treating this) and massage her crop. If that isn't it, it may be parasites. MW

Thread on a crop bound hen https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=568054

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by