what crops do you have coming to the table?

We just pulled up the beans. we planted three types of bush: yellow wax, purple string and long french) The french green were stringless ans tender but the yellow and purple are so much easier to find and pick.

Lots of cucumbers Patty Pan and Yellow squash and too much zucchini (will limit to one plant next summer). Six varieties of tomatoes all except one called "Arkansas Traveler" have good yields. The chard, collards and beets are still producing and we pulled our first carrots on Friday.

And after 3 years of trial and error we finally enough eggplant to freeze a few patches of Parmesan! I pinched back the center stalk three times and the plants are four feet high x 3 feet wide and there are still at least 4-5 medium size eggplants on each.

I neglected the strawberries and they put out 100's of runners instead of berries, but I just sold the runners and made almost $300.00 that I will use to expand our raised beds.

Last edited:
The first batch of tomatoes we planted are winding down and starting to die off, rows two and three are doing very well. It has been our best year for tomatoes in a while. Cuchs are starting to die off and it was bust for green beans and squash. We got just enough beans and squash to eat, not enough to put any up. Okra and peppers are still going strong. Now we are starting to get ready for the fall garden, i'm looking forward to some fresh greens again.

I'm looking forward to fresh greens again too. Finally pulled the rest of the beans and melons out to make room for brassicas. Broccoli grows so well in the fall and early winter. Harvested two big bowls of large tomatoes - Big Beef and Copia - plus a smaller bowl of mystery cherry tomatoes and 3 lbs of plum tomatoes. Still have to make salsa. Eggplants are still producing out the waazoo and getting a few okra pods everyday.

I love our garden this year. We actually grew enough that we got tired of pickling and canning and took some to sell at the market.

We're still getting zuc, crookneck, jalepenos, bell peppers, watermelon, canteloupe, okra, and tomatos. The corn and cukes are toast.

I've never seen okra do this(I'm 6'2" and the girls are on my shoulders). We're still getting a 5 gallon bucket of okra every other day out of 3 40ft rows.

Cheers,

Wow, that's great!

Our okra grew the same way this year. It's really tall and producing like crazy. We too have gotten tired of pickling and canning but I think we put up enough ketchup, spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, salsa, pickles of all kinds, applesauce, potatoes, and jams to make it through til next year. Plus mixed stew veggies and soups. With the turkeys we are canning now and the rabbits, I hardly have to buy anything at the grocery store any more. Kind of fun!

Canning enough to last you through the year is great. We didn't get that much canning done. We have enough pickles and pickled okra to last a year, but not spaghetti sauce, etc. This year was our first try at canning and neither my wife nor I have ever pressure canned. Our goal is to put up one batch of green beans using a borrowed pressure canner this year.

Our garden next year will be rearranged based on how well pressure canning goes, pickling, and good sellers at the farmers market.

Would you mind sharing your ketchup, spaghetti sauce, and pizza sauce recipes?

Thanks,
Coley

Back
Top Bottom