What day did your shipped eggs hatch? How much of a delay is normal. A Poll

On what day did your shipped eggs hatch.

• Day 20 broody

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Day 20 incubator

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Day 21 broody

• Day 21 incubator

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Day 22 broody

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Day 22 incubator

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Day 23 broody

• Day 23 incubator

• Day 24 broody

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Day 24 incubator

• Day 25 broody

• Day 25 incubator

• Day 26 broody

• Day 26 incubator

• Total voters

appps

Crowing
11 Years
Aug 29, 2012
Australia
WHAT DAY DID YOUR SHIPPED EGGS SUCCESSFULLY HATCH LIVE CHICKS - PLEASE ONLY USE YOUR OWN HATCHING RESULTS NO HERESAY RESULTS FROM OTHERS (though you are free to comment on those in the comment section below)

As I sit here on day 23 with some not cheap shipped eggs doing diddly squat under my broody hen I've been searching the threads to try and decide when to admit defeat.

What I've found however is no really good threads that answer the million dollar question of when do I give it up and when is it worth holding on to hope. I found comments to expect a delay but nothing on how much of one or how often with shipped eggs that delay occurs.

I thought it would be helpful to others as well as it's a much asked question to have a bit of poll to see what others experiences have been.

Feel free to add the final success rate of your shipped egg hatch in the comments.

THIS IS SPECIFICALLY RELATING TO SHIPPED EGGS ONLY. Shipped eggs have much different results to non shipped so it's only for results of eggs that have travelled through the post. These eggs have to face temperature and rough handling to name just a few problems. What we want to know is does that cause delays as something to be expected from a shipped egg and how much of a delay should we expect.

I have also given the option of broody or incubator as I'm quite curious if they give quite different results as well.

Feel free to add the days you have had shipped eggs hatch as the poll will allow more than one answer. Thanks and looking forward to seeing what we discover.! If I can get enough results I would like to put it together into an article.

Last edited:
I've only incubated shipped duck eggs, but mine all hatched at day 29 or 30. So, 1-2 days later than the expected hatch date. Not sure if that helps, but that's all I've got. ;)

Thanks, yes it does help. It's another example of a delayed hatch on shipped eggs :)

In hindsight I probably should have put number of days late so it covered all breeds but perhaps if non chicken just post their experiences and I'll,put those into my final results from the data in the replies.

Last edited:
My first shipped eggs were ducks and one hatched perfectly on time while the other pipped on time but took an extra day before he came out.

Second batch was SFH and they never hatched at all.
hit.gif
I think they got froze a little in their journey. Third batch was also SFH and they hatched 1-2 days late. The last batch were SFH and again I got no hatches.
hit.gif

I always like to have some of my own eggs in the 'bator along with shipped eggs as a sort of comparison, and I have also noticed that most of the shipped eggs I've had that actually developed, did so at a slower rate than my home eggs. At least at the beginning. Once they start filling up the shell it gets hard to tell, for me at least.

I answered your poll, but my chicks hatched on day 20. However, they are d'Uccle bantams, and their chicks have been hatching day 19-early day 20, so it would seem that the now adults probably were delayed a few hours. Certainly not several days though. On the other hand, my shipped peafowl eggs reliably hatched two days early.
idunno.gif

My first shipped eggs were conturnix quail 61 hatched out of 120 so 50 percent they hatched on day 17

Last edited:
My first shipped egg. Silkie bantam eggs. Hatched on day 19. I am currently on my second batch of bantam silkie eggs. had 2 internal pips lastnight. Today is day 19 so either today or tomorrow I will be seeing some hatches.

Back
Top Bottom