What day do I start counting for incubation?

mini_mull

Chirping
11 Years
Jan 11, 2009
New quail owner and first time incubating eggs. I ordered jumbo brown eggs from Purely Poultry. They were shipped out on July 6th, arrived on July 8th, then I put bottoms up for about 15 hours in the 100* garage (wasn't sure if I should cool them off in the house before warming them again), and then put them in the incubator on the morning of July 9th. We've been consistently having temps around 110* here in the Phoenix area, so I'm wondering if I start counting days from the 7th or 8th because they were probably warm during shipping or on the 9th when I actually put them in the incubator. I want to make sure I get the correct start date so I know which day to lockdown. Thanks

New quail owner and first time incubating eggs. I ordered jumbo brown eggs from Purely Poultry. They were shipped out on July 6th, arrived on July 8th, then I put bottoms up for about 15 hours in the 100* garage (wasn't sure if I should cool them off in the house before warming them again), and then put them in the incubator on the morning of July 9th. We've been consistently having temps around 110* here in the Phoenix area, so I'm wondering if I start counting days from the 7th or 8th because they were probably warm during shipping or on the 9th when I actually put them in the incubator. I want to make sure I get the correct start date so I know which day to lockdown. Thanks

In my opinion, since you don't want any pips before lockdown...and 18 days is total expected, and pips usually happen half a day beforehand (let's round up to the conservative full day),
If you put them in lockdown on the 23rd, that's 14 days after setting, and 17 days after shipping.
I'd say aim for that, though you could try candling now to see if your eggs have all the veins you might expect on days 4/5 or if they seem much further along.
Ryn.

What was your temp in the garage the morning of the 9th? 100°F durning the day is high enough to start development. If the temp dropped below 68°F in the garage it may have some effect on the embryos.

When it's hot weather, I place the eggs immediately in the incubator upon arrival, due to the fact they are most likely already developing. Cooling and warming the eggs again can have a disastrous effect on eggs. Turner is off for 12 or so hours to allow the eggs to settle. If I was in your situation, I would count the 8th as day 0. Either way, the 8th or 9th, they should start hatching on day 17 of incubation. I would up the humidity on the 16th day of incubation.

Do you have a calibrated thermometer and hygrometer, separate from the incubators manufactured sensors?

What was your temp in the garage the morning of the 9th? 100°F durning the day is high enough to start development. If the temp dropped below 68°F in the garage it may have some effect on the embryos.

When it's hot weather, I place the eggs immediately in the incubator upon arrival, due to the fact they are most likely already developing. Cooling and warming the eggs again can have a disastrous effect on eggs. Turner is off for 12 or so hours to allow the eggs to settle. If I was in your situation, I would count the 8th as day 0. Either way, the 8th or 9th, they should start hatching on day 17 of incubation. I would up the humidity on the 16th day of incubation.

Do you have a calibrated thermometer and hygrometer, separate from the incubators manufactured sensors?

Yes, I have the thermostat set so the SensorPush thermometer/hygrometer stays between 99.5 and 100.0*F and enough water that the humidity stays between 30 & 40%. And yes, I left them in the garage to settle so they wouldn't cool off and then heat up again.

Back
Top Bottom