What day do you see movement? THEY ARE ALIVE!!!!!

ChickenJill

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 14, 2010
My daughter "accidently" touched the temp control and turned it up to 120 degrees!! This was a few days ago. We are on day 9. When do you see movement or any indication that things are OK in the eggs or not?
When you candle them and see nothing do you throw them out or how long do you want to make absolutely sure before you discard them?
THANKS!

Last edited:
Hi

I have a candling diary on the breeding page of my website if that helps you
smile.png

http://oakgarthgeese.com

However I have to add that 120 degrees is a lethal temperature to developing embryos. All you can hope for is that it was very brief.

Wishingyou the best of luck.

Pete
wink.png

Pete - thanks that is great information. But if the heat got to them, how would they look any different (I could already see something developing a few days ago). How or when would I be able to tell if they are still ok?

I'm afraid it along wait until hatching to really know the outcome. However re-candle and if there are active veins present then I assure you they'll be alive. My concern is that the temp spike may have caused a detrimental affect on their health. However just maintain stable conditions and time will tell.

In the meantime try to take the time to read an Incubation Guide I did earlier.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=491013

Best of luck.

Pete
wink.png

Air temp in the bator is very different from internal temp of the eggs. And once the air temp is raised, it takes quite a while for it to raise the temp inside the egg. So if you had 120F for say 20 -30 minutes, your eggs will probably be just fine, as the actual temp inside the egg probably won't have gone up very much. But if you had 120F for a few hours, then your embryos are most likely dead or badly damaged. So if you know how long your temp was high, you might have a better idea how likely they are to be okay.

I never see movement in my eggs, I just see that growth wise they are progressing and getting bigger. Like Pete says, if you can still see veins in a couple of days then that's a good sign. otherwise just wait till day 18 and see if you've got a solid dark egg with a big air sac at the fat end...

My eggs got to 108 for a couple hours. 5 out of 6 eggs hatched! But I kinda figured the sixth egg wouldn't hatch. It had big pores and a lot of stuff on it from the coop. So I think it got a lot of bacteria in it. I candled it and it had a blood ring. Good luck with yours!

Ive seen the little embryo wiggle and "jump" in 10 day old muscovy eggs.. seen the heart beat in eggs on day 7.. i think a lot depends on how good your light source is as well as the color of the shell as to if you will see any actual movement or not

I got a brighter light and I can see some of them moving so I am so happy I hope no damage was done.

Pete

I want to thank you for the information you took the time to put together, it was part of my "guide" the last 20 days, starting to see some results
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom