What daytime predator(s) take just the head off young bantam chickens?

Lobzi

Crowing
14 Years
May 6, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area, EB
I found just the body, the head removed and gone, The comb and feathers pulled off and scattered. Would a flying predator do this or must it have been a four legged intruder? Any ideas? I was told it might have been a cat? That surprised me since the chicken was not that small. I strung up more string in the area where the attack happened just in case it was a hawk, of which there are many flying around. Does this sound like a hawk's work or would it take the entire chicken.

If it is an owl or other flying predator I think I have secured the area but if it is a cat there is not much that I can do. Its not right that if one person owns a cat it becomes everyone in the neighborhood's cat. Legally they can roam where they please, no leash required. Many of my neighbors say they own cats but actually we all own them as they let them live outside 24 hours a day.

Im hoping it is not a cat. I just cant stop the cats from getting in the yard.

Call your local animal control officer to see if they will come out and capture cats or start box trapping the cats and taking them to the local shelter.
Your neighbors rights end where your property line begins, if they cant keep their cats in the house, they can pay to get them back from the pound.

One thing to note, there is no black and white line between night and day predators... Many night predators will in fact hunt during the day when they are hungry...

I just cant stop the cats from getting in the yard.

Also the owner is liable for damages they cause, so go put a balance due and owing bill on their door if they cat causes damages... If that doesn't solve the problem, I know if it was my yard the cat would go *POOF* into thin air mysteriously one night, never to be seen or heard from again...

Quote from MeepBeep: One thing to note, there is no black and white line between night and day predators... Many night predators will in fact hunt during the day when they are hungry...
So true...coyotes are a pervasive day-night menace around here but I surprised to see a great horned owl at 2:00 in the afternoon the other day in the tree above my hen house. Years past I've raccoons in broad daylight trying to stalk a hen. Vigilance!

A neighbor cat got into my raccoon trap. I took it to them and all they said was yes it is our cat but it is an "outside" cat meaning they dont really take care of it. Yep, I wont take it back to them next time.

Back
Top Bottom