What determines if a breed is on the livestock conservancy list? I notice some "rare" breeds aren't.

Can you explain this to me a little more? So using the example of Cayugas, they are considered a "watched" breed, because there are only X amount of registered breeding flocks, even though there may be many backyard breeders?...so they aren't as "rare" as The Livestock Conservatory sheet leads one to believe? Is that correct?
They also only consider registered breeders because more often than not, the animals from backyard breeders aren't up to standard. Even though there could be hundreds of an animal from local backyards, most of them are going to be bad quality and some are downright mutts. For example: The Khaki Campbells from TSC all have yellow beaks, because they were mixed with mallards. The Pekins in this area aren't real Pekins; their beaks are white instead of orange, and they never reach the full size that a true Pekin is supposed to get. Most of the Blue Swedes I have managed to find all have defects from excessive inbreeding; club foot, twisted beaks, etc.
Registered breeders are usually trying to keep the quality of the breed intact, especially if they are registered with the Livestock Conservancy.

They also only consider registered breeders because more often than not, the animals from backyard breeders aren't up to standard. Even though there could be hundreds of an animal from local backyards, most of them are going to be bad quality and some are downright mutts. For example: The Khaki Campbells from TSC all have yellow beaks, because they were mixed with mallards. The Pekins in this area aren't real Pekins; their beaks are white instead of orange, and they never reach the full size that a true Pekin is supposed to get. Most of the Blue Swedes I have managed to find all have defects from excessive inbreeding; club foot, twisted beaks, etc.
Registered breeders are usually trying to keep the quality of the breed intact, especially if they are registered with the Livestock Conservancy.
Thank you for clarifying!

They claim the mision is to peserve genetic diversity and form an inclusive community. You have to ask if their methods ignore their mission.

Well, if the birds in question vary significantly from the SOP then counting them as part of the breed is questionable given that the breed is defined by the SOP.

:)

IMO, an SOP can lead to more problems. Look at Persian cats, Arabian horses, and Pug dogs. All in the name of an SOP taken too far.

I saw so-called show quality Rouen ducks at the fair, and it appalled me!
The Livestock Conservancy focuses on preserving the heritage (original) form of these breeds. It is not just about standardizing breeding, it is also about preserving animals that were designed and perfected for use on small family run farms.
[Edit]
Often, the standard for the Livestock Conservancy is at odds with today's standard as put forth by various livestock/poultry associations. This is why there are often multiple versions of the same breed; there are completely different standards depending on which group you are part of and which country you are breeding them in.
Also, show quality often just means that they look like they are supposed to. It doesn't necesarily mean that they've maintained the unique quality of that breed. For example, Khaki Campbells are known for their egg laying capabilities, laying anywhere between 300 to more than 365 eggs in a year. Many "show quality" Khaki Campbells lay closer to only 200 - 300 a year.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom