What did I do wrong on day 20 or 21?

rookierancher

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 7, 2015
Veedauwoo WY
My last attempt at hatching eggs I started with 11 eggs. two were not fertile, two got blood rings around day 7ish and bought the farm. and one died for unknown reason around day 12. I had six that looked great. On day 20 I had two hatch, and a third on day 21. the other three looked great on day 18 when I last candled all of them and took them out of the egg turner and placed them on their side on the mesh floor of the incubator. I waited out the other three until day 25. None of the three ever started to pip. I opened the eggs to see what happened and all three were fully developed, by their level of development they must have died around day 20 or 21. One was head down in the egg, but the other two looked fine. What possibly could have happened? I'm worried for this next batch as I have 8 looking great with 4 days to go.

Hi Rookierancher
I seem to get some do this almost every hatch. It just seems to be one of those things, just like some develop blood rings and stop early, some get to the end and stop developing late. Someone told me that if the eggs are laid by an older hen they are prone to late incubation death. Or certain bacteria can cause death at end of incubation.

I had three out of my last hatch (of 16) that it happened with. One had even internally pipped, (but appeared shrinkwrapped.) One was from a rather large egg and had excess fluid in it. I believe that the quality and size of the egg did not allow for enough moisture to escape and probably drowned. The third I could not see any reason for. It was in position, yolk absorbed, not shrink wrapped or excess fluid. There was just nothing to hint as to what happened. All three were day 20/21 deaths I'm sure. Sad, but I know it's one of those things that is common when you hatch your own chicks.

Thanks for the replies. I have 8 (out of 10) eggs in the incubator that are due Sunday, and they all looked good still. Hopefully I'll have better luck on this hatch, hoping for at least 50%. I'll let you guys know.

it's looking good, three hatched so far, two more piping . Looks like I might hit 50%
Yay!!
wee.gif

looking better every morning, 5 total have hatched, they all look great and are walking good. Two more piping this morning, that would be 7 out of 10, good hatch this time. Maybe I have this figured out (probably just lucky).

My wife is now telling me that's enough! We got 2 out of 11 in the first hatch. Went to Murdock's and bought 7 more chicks. Now I have 5 hatched and two more on the way. I have 4 adult chickens one year old. So I have 18 chickens with two more on the way! good thing I build a big chicken house last year.

Back
Top Bottom