What Did I Do ?????

nancylee

Chirping
Sep 17, 2009
Montague, PEI
My first time hatching eggs. I got a 1602N thermal air Hova-Bator.
No turner I did it 3 times a day. Temp stayed 99 to 100. Humidty around 50. All eggs were fertile 10th day candeling and growing.
smile.png
5 days later I didn't think they grew much and could not see movement but thought I would leave them. 2 days before hatch I smell something (while trying to hear peeping) and oped bator and took one out, it smelled, candelled, didn't look good, opened, yep no good. along with the 5 others. Did I do something wrong.
sad.png
My first time, dissapointed, but have to try again.
Any help what I might have done wrong might be able to help me with my next batch.
Thanks
Nancy

I'm not that experienced myself but so far it doesn't sound like anything you did. A few questions others will ask.

Were the eggs shipped? Were they your eggs? If they were your eggs have you or a hen hatched them successfully before? What breed/age were the hen/roo if they were your eggs?

Sometimes it's just something genetic that goes wrong and not something you did, just like a human miscarriage.

Laney

3 times is the bare minimum for turning. Personally i turned my eggs 5 times a day by hand on my first hatch this year and got an 85% hatch rate. Maby your chicks settled to one side of the shell some how due to not turning so much and the growing came to a stop?

Thanks for the replies
The eggs were my own, I got the 2 hens 1 roster last month. I was told they had chicks before. They are Japanese Chickens. I know they have the lethal gene and thought that may have been the problem. But I would like to know before I start another batch if it was something I was doing wrong. First time with chickens and I am having a ball. (they are so funny)
tongue.png
(I want more)
Nancy

I only turned mine 3 times day except for when i had days off have same bator just hatched 4 out of 5 egss last night. didnt expect any. I kept my humitity right around 55 then upped it to 69 during last 3 days.

Yes they "should" be turned more than twice a day, but that won't mess up a whole hatch. I have hatched plenty turning them twice a day with a few "oops, I forgot" in there. How sure are you on your candling? Of Course, jap eggs are notorious for dying in the shell (usually close to hatch) and for infertility. The only thing I can think of would be a temperature spike that you missed somehow. I have one of those cheap digital thermometers from walmart that has a max and min and you can check for temperature spikes.

Hi Everyone
It may have been a temperature spike. I have no way of telling. I will have to get one of those digital thermometers that has a max and min they sound good. As for my candling I did see movement around day 10 or so, but no movement on 16. I did open them up (Yuck) they were fertile but not developed much. Next batch I will turn more. How often and when should you candle?
Thanks
Nancy

Back
Top Bottom