What did I get in my TSC Box?

Wow, I am so off! I was going to try my hand at guessing. I'm batting 0 for 5 it looks like. I was going to guess Buff orps for 1 and 2. (pullets) #3 a wellsummer roo and #4 a black australorp. #5 I didn't know.

I would love to know why I'm wrong! I guessed buff orps for 1 and 2 because they look just like mine, but yours have slightly darker feathers at the root of their wings and tail. The comb on #3 looked very developed and the eyeliner pencil off the eye is again just like my wellsummer roo. Feathers just the same too. I have my list with the chicks, but the black australorps I thought had what looks like a black scarf coming half way around their throats with a fluffy yellowish butt. I thought yours had black on its beak but forgot to look at it's legs.

I'm new to this and would love to hear why I'm not right. Chicks have such similar coloring it would help me to know what to look for. Obviously I am only seeing what I already have!

Edited to add here are some photos of mine just for comparison:

welsummer roo head

next one is my buff orp. Pictures taken yesterday (10 days old)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, don't be hard on yourself - I'm sure we have any seriously positive ID's yet. ^__^

It's kinda lame tho...
I only want hens for the eggs, but roosters are just so cool - they're like little dinosaurs skulkin' around!
BUT, I don't want fertilized eggs at all.

My wife will have to be committed if she cracks open an embryo into some cake mix!
Is there some way to get around that?

ken the way you make sure theres no embryo is that you collect the eggs daily and throw any away that you dont know how long theyve been there
i have 5 roos and have never done that

Yeah, I'll be in the same padded room with her. When I was in 5th grade we had an incubator in our classroom and broke open an egg every day until the bitter end. I seriously didn't eat eggs for 10 years and I'm still kind of squeamish around them. I probably would have been ok, but then I went to China a few years ago and fetal chicks are a delicacy, on a stick no less. I don't think we'll be seeing that at the Iowa State Fair anytime soon. I definitely can't eat eggs in the morning. I got the rooster because they are just so cool, and I think it's nice for the hens.

I plan to check for eggs daily, nothing can grow in one day. If I find one that I'm not sure when it was laid it will not be opened. I seriously don't think I could take it. We ordered one roo, but I'm pretty sure we have more than one. One EE is a chest bumper. It will be fun to see how it all turns out. Good luck with yours.......whatever they turn out to be!

AM

ETA hey that's what I said! Took me quite a long time to write this, multi-tasking you know!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom