What did you do in the garden today?

Stuck tires in the greenhouse where my squash are going to... Never knock the power of a tire, they are the anti-frost! :lol:

Gotta get me some of those. Do you think that if I covered my entire lawn... about an acre or so with wall to wall tires, that they'd repel any other snow storms?

Here's my question of the day: I'm heading up a plant sale (fund raiser) that will be on May 9. Day before Mother's day, still chance of frost. I was thinking of making some varied 6 packs. Will need to start plants that will grow out to a semi-respectable size by then. I was thinking about offering 6 packs: Salsa pack = several varieties of tomato, basil, and cilantro. Pickle pack: cucumbers and dill. Herb pack: Cilantro, parsley, dill, oregano, basil. Companion flower pack: Nasturtium and marigold. Any other ideas? The market crowd will most likely be the novice gardener (small back yard garden).

Blast I was hoping when I saw the word thistle that you had some magic method to get rid of the stuff!! -sigh-
Blasted pokey plants!

Nope, just a hoe and some determination.

When I was a kid, I successfully de-thistled a field by going out and chopping them roughly every week. The thistles gave up before I did. I'm hoping to apply the same here.

Edit: How about a "three sisters" pack? Squash, beans, and corn!

Or a hardy flower pack - pinks and Johnny-jump-up?

A "take over your lawn" pack... mint and Corsican mint? No, that's not a good idea at all. xD

Last edited:
Good idea in theory about the 3 Sis pack, but time of year, and seed size, as well as increased soil needs wouldn't quite work. I like the flower idea. Perhaps a 6 pack of varied sun-flowers would work. They sell a bulk SF mix at my local Blue-Seal. Thistles and burdock to go along with the mints?

Lazy gardener my I suggest some sages/ butterfly mint, seems to be market for cat grass around here. Everything in New England is hungry for something green this time of year-) Seeds started 2015 Rutger tomatoes, mixed peppers, assortment of herbs, and cabbage. Stage horn and jalapeno pepper plants produced all winter top radiator southern window, and woke potted strawberry plants up. Get the feeling lost allot of perennials frost 3 feet deep wind chill. Somebody please walk across the grass barefoot for me!

Back
Top Bottom