What did you do in the garden today?

That is an excellent idea, thanks!
I freeze greens every year. Just blanch, dump into ice bath and dry them as much as possible. I put them on a parchment lined cookie sheet, cover with plastic wrap, then put the tray in the freezer overnight. Next morning put the frozen greens in a bag and toss in the freezer.

Fabulous rainstorm today. I’m glad I have my hens trained to come running when I shake a bag of mealworms. They went back to the coop before it started to save me from porch poop duty LOL. I changed the sugar water for the hummingbirds and made my teenager mow before the storms started. Also threw my smaller tent’s rainfly over the kennel of babies. They have temporary access to a playpen of sorts while we build the new coop. I squashed a lot of squash bugs on the watermelon plants. Need to spray with the insecticidal soap I made.
568FEB15-34E1-4811-80BA-BED9C5196BA9.jpeg

Speaking of the new coop (wrong thread-I know, but I like you guys). I have a building that I bought in pieces from the local habitat store years ago for $40. I’m thinking about joining these two frame pieces for the floor. That would make it 12 by 4 feet. I bought 2 sheets of plywood and some 12 foot 2x4’s to cover the floor and I will use the long boards to make it sturdy.
B939BC8C-DAAC-4708-8A63-6A57A003DB35.jpeg
DD40CE9C-D7CB-4B46-8E6F-E04B44C1F0F4.jpeg

Speaking of the new coop (wrong thread-I know, but I like you guys). I have a building that I bought in pieces from the local habitat store years ago for $40. I’m thinking about joining these two frame pieces for the floor. That would make it 12 by 4 feet. I bought 2 sheets of plywood and some 12 foot 2x4’s to cover the floor and I will use the long boards to make it sturdy. View attachment 2237261View attachment 2237262
What is the thickness on the plywood? Strand board is a lot sturdier in most cases and a little less expensive. I know you are in a warmer climate but it’s still important to build your centers between 14 to 16 inches so they can withstand high winds and big predators.

I’m thinking about attaching the doors with these heavy hinges along the bottom for clean out and maybe one to access nesting boxes. Then I can just sweep out soiled litter. Some panels already have the siding attached and there are some folding roof trusses too. I’ll use hardware cloth for ventilation between the walls and roof.
Here’s my question. I also have a bargain dog kennel found on Craigslist that has good chainlink. Can I cover it with a heavy duty tarp and wrap it in 1 inch chicken wire to keep the predators out? I can add an apron of welded wire around it. Raccoons and possums wouldn’t fit through the chainlink. I figure I just need something smaller to keep snakes and maybe rats out. They will probably free range most of the time. I just need
E36ACE56-A219-4517-ABAC-EDDFF33DA9F4.jpeg
B9683FDF-0A38-463D-A417-6C40BDEACB0F.jpeg
a secure option for night time and the ability to lock them up if it is raining, etc. P.S. My beefsteak tomatoes are huge. Very tempted to fry some!

Attachments

• A1F5A847-98EA-4F23-AF44-66764B817338.jpeg
    A1F5A847-98EA-4F23-AF44-66764B817338.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
What is the thickness on the plywood? Strand board is a lot sturdier in most cases and a little less expensive. I know you are in a warmer climate but it’s still important to build your centers between 14 to 16 inches so they can withstand high winds and big predators.
Half inch I think. I thought about the OSB, but figured it might absorb more water. Very humid here. Not sure what you mean by “centers” I’m not much of a builder but my husband is very handy. I’m going to put it up on cinderblocks because it will be under a huge tree with a massive root system. If a tornado hits it, it probably won’t matter if it is cemented in or not and shade will be paramount in the Oklahoma summers. With the dogs running around, we don’t have many predator issues (knocking on wood) except the occasional possum in our current coop. Not secure enough, but right behind our bedroom window so we wake up and take care of them.
image.jpg

Half inch I think. I thought about the OSB, but figured it might absorb more water. Very humid here. Not sure what you mean by “centers” I’m not much of a builder but my husband is very handy. I’m going to put it up on cinderblocks because it will be under a huge tree with a massive root system. If a tornado hits it, it probably won’t matter if it is cemented in or not and shade will be paramount in the Oklahoma summers. With the dogs running around, we don’t have many predator issues (knocking on wood) except the occasional possum in our current coop. Not secure enough, but right behind our bedroom window so we wake up and take care of them.View attachment 2237299
The distance between the framing lumber / 2 x 4’s is what is referred to as the centers. Chicken wire is useless. Raccoons can still reach into chain link fence and shred a chicken. I know you said you like this thread, however there is a lot of good information and guidance on the coop building thread that could give you and your husband better guidance. My personal opinion on building a coop, it should be sturdy enough that you would feel safe sleeping in there. Best of luck with.

The distance between the framing lumber / 2 x 4’s is what is referred to as the centers. Chicken wire is useless. Raccoons can still reach into chain link fence and shred a chicken. I know you said you like this thread, however there is a lot of good information and guidance on the coop building thread that could give you and your husband better guidance. My personal opinion on building a coop, it should be sturdy enough that you would feel safe sleeping in there. Best of luck with.
Thanks for the input and info. I would feel safe in a tent or hammock, but that doesn't really answer the question. We don't have many large predators like bears in the immediate area (knocking again). I wouldn't put chicken wire anywhere close to where they would roost, but do wonder if I could wrap the small run with it. I have hardware cloth around their " playpen" but that seems like overkill with the chainlink for the run. I know that in general, chicken wire is only to keep chickens in or out of certain areas, but with the chainlink it seems like bigger predators couldn't break in. Might be wishful thinking though....

Back
Top Bottom