What did you do in the garden today?

My crew was hard at work while I was washing the seed pots
1614809477676.jpeg

Dont mind the litter bucket, it’s a plant container, not trash.

I worked outside all day today. The turkey vultures are back as well as the bald eagles.
I used the plow to get the gravel out of the lawn and then graded the driveway.

I put up the pop up 6x9 foot greenhouse as the wind was low today. It is anchored, but I want stronger anchors and cords and the top is not quite on straight. I'll fix that tomorrow.

I filled the giant water tank in the barn as we hit 70. I'll top filler buckets tomorrow so I don't have to haul water every morning.

I also planted the marigolds in cells and added more outlets to the seeding area and installed the other warming mats and made more seeding soil.

Tomorrow I hope to get to town to the market as well as take the alpaca coats to the laundry mat, and install a new nest box system. We'll see.

I want to put up a wood surround on the greenhouse to help with stopping airflow underneath and pick up some shelves. Maybe after the growing season is done, I'll build a proper building.

Hope all had a nice day. (am hoping the local amish shop gets in my giant sleeves of lids. If not by June, then I'll order online.)

I got another 8 varieties of tomato seeds potted and labeled with the last of my labels. Amazon said I'll get my additional labels tomorrow as well as more seed trays. I also potted 5 leftover rosemary cuttings that I bought for a roast. I put them in a container with water to keep them fresh and the extras got shoved to the back of the counter and forgotten. Lo and behold, they all grew roots! So once they fill their pots with roots I'll stick 'em in the garden somewhere. You can never have too many rosemary bushes. Tomorrow it's supposed to rain so I won't be doing much more weeding but I hope to get the pepper seeds potted.

I always had trouble with outdoor labeling until I bought a grease pen and got fairly hard plastic labels to write on. Solved all my problems. I have three markers that have been out all winter and they are still clear as day. Cheap too.

Today... finally replanted that spinach seed. I'm such a procrastinator, sheesh. Other than that, nothing. Had a midwife appointment took up half the day to drive there and back and eat while we were out.

Now, back to waiting for things to sprout and wishing I already had a nice big garden... Got that Aerosmith song in my head now.

Same thing here, the full compost bin isn't full anymore so I'm going to fork the stuff in the newest pile into the old pile.

Got a bunch more of the weeding in the raised beds done to the great joy of the ladies. Tore a couple of big piles of grass off for the rabbits in the rabbitat and the kids in the grow out plus there was half a banana left over from the sundae extravaganza that I split up among the adults. When I was in town yesterday I picked up a couple more packets of tomato seeds (of course I did). Determinants Oregon Spring (supposed to be super cold hardy for early spring planting) and Saucey since I really do like the growth habits of determinants. I'll never be able to grow hot peppers well enough to keep up with what I need/want I'll just have to buy them as I can. Once we reach the stage of opening the local farmer's market again I'll see who grows what where and see if I can get more fruits and veg for canning in season.

And I talked to the folks at Farr's (Farr's Has Everything!) and they said getting canning jars and lids is going to be even harder than it was last year. That their supplier is rationing them out a tiny bit at a time. I know the Walmart I do my grocery pickups from has been out of everything for months, the while I still see some on Amazon, the prices they're asking are insane. Not likely to be many in yard sales here since this is such a small rural town and just about everyone cans so I'll have to start hitting the Coos Bay yard sales I guess. @WthrLady, you said you reused lids? How do you go about it?

do you buy any food in jars (mayonese, mustard, pickles, etc) in the supermarket? I wash and reuse all the jars and lids. from time to time I buy new lids but glass jars last long.

Back
Top Bottom