What did you do in the garden today?

I planted my seed potatoes in grow bags. I have 3 bags under way. I started out with just a wee bit of dirt and then tossing more on top to build it up as the plant sprouts.

My only worry is that I overloaded the bags with too many seed potatoes per bag... Might cause my potatoes to be small.
You could grab a couple extra bags and split up some of the potatoes as an experiment? Have some bags with more, some with less?

You could grab a couple extra bags and split up some of the potatoes as an experiment? Have some bags with more, some with less?

They each have about 4 seed potatoes each in them. The bags are 10 gallons each in size.

I saw a video once of someone who made a grow bag from a "basket" of chicken wire and dead leaves. I tried that too with some extra seed potatoes that wouldn't fit in the grow bags... But they never sprouted. I think the dead leaves are too dry for a growing medium.

:frow
Finally getting to play in the garden here. Rototilling done few days ago planted half lb peas they starting to pop. Kale and collards also so far.
Going to snow some here tomorrow lol.
Ordered some salsify seeds never have grew or tasted them anyone here ever tried them?
Grow wild here and yes. I'm not overly impressed by them. They taste green like artichokes to me, which I also don't care for.

They each have about 4 seed potatoes each in them. The bags are 10 gallons each in size.

I saw a video once of someone who made a grow bag from a "basket" of chicken wire and dead leaves. I tried that too with some extra seed potatoes that wouldn't fit in the grow bags... But they never sprouted. I think the dead leaves are too dry for a growing medium.
I've seen it with "leaf mold," which I think is code for leaves half way to being done composting? Now I want to try it. I DO have a pile of half-composted leaves...and sprouted potatoes on the counter...🤔🤔

Do you think a large reusable shopping bag could work as a stand-in for a grow bag? I have banned myself from garden centers for at least a week, so I'd need to improvise.

I've seen it with "leaf mold," which I think is code for leaves half way to being done composting? Now I want to try it. I DO have a pile of half-composted leaves...and sprouted potatoes on the counter...🤔🤔

Do you think a large reusable shopping bag could work as a stand-in for a grow bag? I have banned myself from garden centers for at least a week, so I'd need to improvise.
Think they may work do you empty feed bags they work also

morning all, yesterday was beautiful so decided to clear bottom end of garden .dragged an old fridge up to near back door ,too mean to pay someone to remove it so took off the door and everything inside as best i could .cleared an area that had nothing planted and sunk the fridge into the ground ,not deep ,it stands about 2ft above ground .built a wall around it leaving a gap so i could fill with soil and plants ,filled with water ,now have to get some water plants to put inside and i have a wildlife pond for free .all i have to do now is figure out what to do with the door .today is another nice day although we had ground frost ,going to fix trellis to fence and fill planters ready for courgettes to go in ,they need to be out soon growing to big in house .

Back
Top Bottom