What did you do in the garden today?

We had a microburst storm and a major peach tree limb split down the trunk, thus necessitating a radical pruning. We've got four lower limbs left. If it makes it, great! If not, we'll stump it and put in a sundial or bird bath. The tree was waaaaay too tall and blocking some view, so we've got mixed feelings about this event. Managed to glean nearly two large trugs of peaches...the whole thing is a mess.

After that, I went into the garden and harvested the ripe stuff. Then mowed the lawn.
Another hot one today, so off to the showers. Found out the chickens REALLY like grapes.

From the yard today:
(from top left clockwise: Ronde de Nice squash, Boston pickling cucumbers,
lemon cucumbers, Carnen pepper, NM College 64-L pepper, cherry and juliet tomatoes, pattypan
squash, golden bush zucchini)

We had a microburst storm and a major peach tree limb split down the trunk, thus necessitating a radical pruning. We've got four lower limbs left. If it makes it, great! If not, we'll stump it and put in a sundial or bird bath. The tree was waaaaay too tall and blocking some view, so we've got mixed feelings about this event. Managed to glean nearly two large trugs of peaches...the whole thing is a mess.

After that, I went into the garden and harvested the ripe stuff. Then mowed the lawn.
Another hot one today, so off to the showers. Found out the chickens REALLY like grapes.

From the yard today:
(from top left clockwise: Ronde de Nice squash, Boston pickling cucumbers,
lemon cucumbers, Carnen pepper, NM College 64-L pepper, cherry and juliet tomatoes, pattypan
squash, golden bush zucchini)
Looks great. Sorry about the peach tree, but opening up a view puts a silver lining on it!

Awesome pics and harvest. Sorry about the peach tree. At least you got a harvest from it.

Today, I was so excited to pick my first full sized vine ripe tomato. Not getting zucchini as they put out monsters while I was away, and not producing any more. My potato vines have died. I harvested the first hill and got about 8#. Lots more where those came from! Garlic needs to be harvested as well. Will pull a bowl full, and leave the rest to winter over. Too hot to do anything more outside than hurry back inside. On vacation this week, so all my outside stuff will have to wait till next week anyways.

Sorry about the peach tree! I wish we could grow them here.

Today I put another two quarts of green beans in the freezer and made two more batches of grape jelly. Everyone that stops by here will be taking some home! I've still got grapes on the vine, but I'm done processing them for the year. Not going to make wine, but maybe next year??? The chickens love them so they will get some treats.

My potato vines still appear to be putting out, so I keep watering them and adding layers of straw. The garlic needs to be dug up some time this busy week. And I am pulling small sized tomatoes, with the large ones showing signs of maturing. I may just pull them and let them ripen inside because they are crowding each other. The zucchinis are growing slowly, and I'm glad they don't balloon when I turn my back. We are surrounded by forest fires and praying for rain.

Pulled out one medium bowl of potatoes from the three I planted that had started shoots in the pantry... Picked greens for freezing, and some almost ripe tomatoes. There is something eating them up before they completely ripen.

Thinking of where to plant some fall potatoes, not sure which bed. Didn't find out the classic rotation: beans, tubers, greens, fruit till yesterday. So I must change my rotation plan, and worse two of the beds have tomatoes, while the other beds is where I planted potatoes, and strawberries! Am planing on planting the potatoes in a bed that has only one tomato, and was previously planted with another tomato and beans= watermelons

Neither does the guy that promotes the Back to Eden gardening and his gardens are MONDO productive. I guess there is no excessive nutrient and mineral depletion when there is constant decomposition to replace all that and no bug problem when the plants are so strong and healthy as they grow. Weak or sickly plants send out a chemical signal that attract pest insects and I got to see that first hand this year, so I'm a believer. Strong, thriving plants...little to no bug problem.

I froze a couple of bages of peaches and am making peach butter in the crock pot out on the back deck since it's 95 degrees out (again). I got a kiddie pool filled it and put all the eggplant and tomatoes growing in the greenhouse . I am going to spend the rest of the afternoon in the pool.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom