What did you do in the garden today?

I succumbed to garden math ! And IT 1/2 OFF? So so scanned the tomato plants ( like I need more) but wanted to try these heirloom brands and seeds and plants were pricy this year. So I planted Cherokee purple, and brandywine in ground. I had sauceilicious plant there but looked horrible for the last 2 weeks so I yanked them , must have been a bad pack they all died. I also have 2 goliath in ground and one is stunted leaves have brown spots I should j by toust send pix not sure it's worth trying to save. What do you think it is? F wilt ?
LOL, I have a friend that makes rounds of the stores that sell plants and askes to check out their trash. She has populated her garden with free "nearly dead" plants from the stores. I am always amazed at what she comes up with. She can resuscitate a twig better than anyone I know.

I got out early this morning and put Round up on my brick sitting area. I am shocked at the amount of grass and weeds that take root along the lines. It does look better- still need to fix the planters though. Gonna just put out some moss rose. I weeded around my Confederate Jasmine plant, It refused to use the trellis provided. Grass had grown up around it , so I weeded it really good and tomorrow will put some of those real thick magnolia leaves to use as a mulch under it- a heavy coating of those will definitely hinder grass growth. I found my gardenia plant among the weeds in the front beds. It really needs tender loving care, so will put out some fertilizer tomorrow. Will mow this evening after the sun goes down. Too hot right now to be out in it. It seems to work well to get an hour to 1 1/2 hrs so in the morning, and an hour or so in the evening.
the problem is figuring when to take my bath. I can do it in the morning, after the yard work, but get sweaty and dirty again in the afternoon so would go to bed dirty. I could do it before bed, but would have to spend the whole day sweaty and dirty after the morning yard work. Oh well, are two showers a day too much??

I got out early this morning and put Round up on my brick sitting area. I am shocked at the amount of grass and weeds that take root along the lines. It does look better- still need to fix the planters though. Gonna just put out some moss rose. I weeded around my Confederate Jasmine plant, It refused to use the trellis provided. Grass had grown up around it , so I weeded it really good and tomorrow will put some of those real thick magnolia leaves to use as a mulch under it- a heavy coating of those will definitely hinder grass growth. I found my gardenia plant among the weeds in the front beds. It really needs tender loving care, so will put out some fertilizer tomorrow. Will mow this evening after the sun goes down. Too hot right now to be out in it. It seems to work well to get an hour to 1 1/2 hrs so in the morning, and an hour or so in the evening.
the problem is figuring when to take my bath. I can do it in the morning, after the yard work, but get sweaty and dirty again in the afternoon so would go to bed dirty. I could do it before bed, but would have to spend the whole day sweaty and dirty after the morning yard work. Oh well, are two showers a day too much??

Last weekend my DH was asking if I'd seen the Roundup because he wants to treat the cracks in the driveway. I always cringe when we use Roundup because it is so bad for the environment. This morning as I was walking down the driveway towards the garden, I wondered about using ACV to treat the grass/weeds instead of Roundup. Have you ever done this?

I made the mistake last year of trying to quickly acidify my soil with ACV for some blueberries I was growing. Inadvertantly killed the blueberries instead. That's when I found out that ACV will kill vegetation pretty quickly if it is not diluted properly.

Sooo.....ACV is lot "kinder" to the environment than Roundup. Wondering if you (or anyone) has ever used ACV instead of Roundup and what the results were?

Ugh....I HATE those things. Nasty, nasty creatures....

Remember the "mulberry" tree I found in my back yard? Well....it has ZERO berries on it now so I am not sure it is a mulberry. I grew up around mulberries and pretty much remember them having berries all summer long. So I'm thinking it was/is some other kind of tree....
They can be goofy. I have a friend with an ancient mulberry and in 7 years, this is the first year it's had berries.

Last weekend my DH was asking if I'd seen the Roundup because he wants to treat the cracks in the driveway. I always cringe when we use Roundup because it is so bad for the environment. This morning as I was walking down the driveway towards the garden, I wondered about using ACV to treat the grass/weeds instead of Roundup. Have you ever done this?

I made the mistake last year of trying to quickly acidify my soil with ACV for some blueberries I was growing. Inadvertantly killed the blueberries instead. That's when I found out that ACV will kill vegetation pretty quickly if it is not diluted properly.

Sooo.....ACV is lot "kinder" to the environment than Roundup. Wondering if you (or anyone) has ever used ACV instead of Roundup and what the results were?
doesn't kill it only annoys it for a few weeks.
HOT, WHITE vinegar, some salt and some dawn dish soap in a sprayer.

Just know you'll be doing it again as soon as the weed wants to sprout again. Eventually it will die due to lack of food to the roots, but it can take a year or more of treatments.

Hey gardeners, I hope you’re all well. Not much happening in the garden, just maintaining with water and fertilizer. So far everything is still alive. The lantana is blooming, the little Australian tree has managed to strengthen up and hold itself upright without support and the oleanders and Arabian lilac are still doing well. The cuke and melon plants are still there, who knows if they’ll flower and fruit, it’s awful hot out there. I gave the ducks a second pool and some electrolytes today, ports things were panting. The electrolyte bucket got a big block of ice too so hopefully they’ll give it a try. We’re getting four to five eggs a day now so I’m hoping there are six one day soon and I don’t have a second drake. Anyway, this will be my last post for about a month, I’m having cataract surgery and I can’t read through posts to catch up with you all. I’m still working though and that is difficult at this point. No sense in putting more strain on them and the headaches are a real you know what already. Take care and keep your nails dirty!

Back
Top Bottom