What did you do in the garden today?

I carry sticks with me as I fall

Glad you checked in with us Alfie, I'd been wondering what you were up to. I'm so sorry about your falls, I had a couple bad ones some time back and it took a while to get my nerves settled again. :hugs

The head I took out of the garage they other day wasn't completely cured yet, but the cloves slipped out of the skin super easily. I'm definitely going to make some of the garlic/oil paste, I bet it's killer on french or italian bread.

Our 2 elderberries are starting to look like real bushes at last. I think the drip watering system is going to be a big help for them as well. Both DP and I take elderberry supplements and it'd be nice to make our own.

We've had them for years, they give me a real feeling of security. If I start to lose my balance (it happens more as time goes on) I have a solid grab point to count on. DP's dad was resistant to adding safety features to his house and I swore I'd never fight the things that make my independent life safer.

No gardening yet today (other than munching a few snap peas off the vine :)) cuz we finally took the new (to us) boat out to launch it for the first time. DP did great getting the trailer down the ramp and we got her into the lake. Unfortunately there were motor issues and we've decided that and electric start would be a better idea. Pull rope starters are not fun, especially when the motor keeps dying. :p I Used the new grill/smoker last night and it worked a treat! Grilled tomatoes, zucchini, onions, and mushrooms, with grilled bratwurst. Now I'm mad keen to try some actual bbq, the freezer is full of ribs, chicken hindquarters, (stocked up during the plague) and trout so I have lots to play with.

First try at grilling:
View attachment 2731992

Newest babies enjoying snap peas:
View attachment 2731998

Tomatoes, marigolds and carrots:
View attachment 2731999

The giant shallots:
View attachment 2732000

The snapdragons that went crazy this year:
View attachment 2732002

The tomatoes, nemesia, and basil on the other side of the bed from the snapdragons:
View attachment 2732004

And I have a question, has anyone had any luck with tomatoes that stayed too long in small pots? Once put in a proper bed, did they recover or are they just a waste of time and space? Here is a post of my secret shame: View attachment 2732009

I started so many tomatoes this year and it took a while for enough space to open in the beds that a couple dozen ended up like this. I've put one in the bed as an experiment and picked out a few others that still seemed to have growing tips but some had already fruited and seemed to have given up and those I've already tossed. Opinions?
Love those pictures! I think you could plant those tomatoes really deep or sideways. They could sprout roots along those long stems. Couldn't hurt to try if you have a spot!

Glad you checked in with us Alfie, I'd been wondering what you were up to. I'm so sorry about your falls, I had a couple bad ones some time back and it took a while to get my nerves settled again. :hugs

The head I took out of the garage they other day wasn't completely cured yet, but the cloves slipped out of the skin super easily. I'm definitely going to make some of the garlic/oil paste, I bet it's killer on french or italian bread.

Our 2 elderberries are starting to look like real bushes at last. I think the drip watering system is going to be a big help for them as well. Both DP and I take elderberry supplements and it'd be nice to make our own.

We've had them for years, they give me a real feeling of security. If I start to lose my balance (it happens more as time goes on) I have a solid grab point to count on. DP's dad was resistant to adding safety features to his house and I swore I'd never fight the things that make my independent life safer.

No gardening yet today (other than munching a few snap peas off the vine :)) cuz we finally took the new (to us) boat out to launch it for the first time. DP did great getting the trailer down the ramp and we got her into the lake. Unfortunately there were motor issues and we've decided that and electric start would be a better idea. Pull rope starters are not fun, especially when the motor keeps dying. :p I Used the new grill/smoker last night and it worked a treat! Grilled tomatoes, zucchini, onions, and mushrooms, with grilled bratwurst. Now I'm mad keen to try some actual bbq, the freezer is full of ribs, chicken hindquarters, (stocked up during the plague) and trout so I have lots to play with.

First try at grilling:
View attachment 2731992

View attachment 2731998

View attachment 2731999

The giant shallots:
View attachment 2732000

View attachment 2732002

The tomatoes, nemesia, and basil on the other side of the bed from the snapdragons:
View attachment 2732004

And I have a question, has anyone had any luck with tomatoes that stayed too long in small pots? Once put in a proper bed, did they recover or are they just a waste of time and space? Here is a post of my secret shame: View attachment 2732009

I started so many tomatoes this year and it took a while for enough space to open in the beds that a couple dozen ended up like this. I've put one in the bed as an experiment and picked out a few others that still seemed to have growing tips but some had already fruited and seemed to have given up and those I've already tossed. Opinions?
Just dig a hole deep enough to plant them up to the lower stems. The roots will love the water further down and more roots will develope up the trunk. Should be OK.

I didn't do anything in my garden today. Instead I went to a friend's house to do some yard work for her.

She lives in the city and the way to get rid of yard debris is by filling up the yard waste garbage container and leaving it by the road on "her" day to get picked up. Well, I filled that thing in less than an hour, though it will compact a bit as it wilts. Still, there are so many shrubs and weeds that I wish I could get out of there so she can find the rest of her back yard.

We might get rain at any time in the next 8 days. First a drought, then possible flooding. I'll be going out to pull weeds tomorrow whenever I get the rest of the stuff I need to do done.

Heck with the dishes... I'll go weed instead.

So I heard of a butt dial but a boob dial? So if you are well endowed, can you call more than one person at a time? :p One thing to keep in mind on those phones in the shower, besides for camera's being able to be turned on remotely, but besides that. If you have the phone locked, those fingerprint reading things, suck, if your fingers are even remotely wet you will NOT unlock the phone. Typing on the touch screen with wet fingers may be an issue too, so unless you have some sort of press the side button, ICE number, it could not go as easily as you hope it would.

Aaron
Lol. I have a large shelf at the end of the tub that doesn’t get wet. i put the phone on that. The towel is in reach too, so I can dry my hands and cover up if I need help.

First try at grilling:
View attachment 2731992

View attachment 2731998

View attachment 2731999

The giant shallots:
View attachment 2732000

View attachment 2732002

View attachment 2732004

Everything looks great( except the dead pots,) You really have a green thumb

got a fair bit of weeding done yesterday ,found one zucchini left out of eleven plants it,s growing well so we,ll see what i get .I hold onto something when doing anything i can,t kneel at all now .I watered last night as well guess what ,it rained ,which is good not had any for a while ,still drizzling now ,we need it . I rent this house from local housing association so can,t have a walk in shower .They did put a new shower over the bath and a seat over the bath and hand rails .If I want walk in i have to move into a flat no garden .can,t function without a garden .I,m 73 ,just me and my dog (15) she likes to lie in the shade and watch me work .

When I had my spinal fusion, I was not able to move for a bit and I found that one of those plastic garden chairs, the cheap ones, in the shower worked wonders. I could sit down and shower as necessary when my back got bad. Also, the shower head that's on a hose so you can grab it down and spray it... where you need the water to go, without having to be a contortionist helps as well if you have mobility issues. Sometimes Ill sit on the chair and let the hot water run down my back for a few minutes, it can really help with spasms at times.

Aaron

This is the Brush I cut on Monday. I had to use my chainsaw to cut the 4 to 6in round trees. I got it all bucked and stacked.

IMG_1091.JPG

We had a very nice cool, foggy, misty morning yesterday that was prefect for the last burn pile of the season. We started it at 8:00 yesterday and had it done at 9:30, then we gathered what ever was dry and needed to go, cut some dead limbs off trees etc. until 11:45.

And it is all gone

IMG_1108.JPG

I got some snap peas picked and a big bowel of salad greens.

Today is all about the gardens! I'll get watering done today and that kale seed going for my fall/winter veggies.

Quote Reply

@littledog, were you miserably hot today? My brother who lives near you said it was 90 degrees.
Yes it was! Fortunately we have an attic fan that we run at night, so inside the house stays fairly cool for most of the day. Me and Mr Dog spent the whole day setting up a system to water all our baby trees, especially since the next few days are predicted to go over 100 degrees, holy moly, we've never has temps like these!

Outside was crazy, so we did all our work between 5am and 9am, then came inside to nap, then worked in the garden between 5pm and 10 pm, when it started to get dark.
Can't help but sympathize with people in insane climates like Igor, the Nevada people, pretty much everybody who suffers through temps like these regularly!

It's pretty rare (like never before) to deal with 100 degrees in the PNW!

Back
Top Bottom