What did you do in the garden today?

8B626F3C-8AB0-41CB-B779-D6862E7A159F.jpeg

Was gone until 5 pm and came home to 2 new planters made by husband from walnut he got for free from a friend. He spent A LOT of time removing the bark over the last couple days, then cutting and sanding. I thought he was making a bench, and he let me believe that-lol. Now they have herbs in them!

Anyone ever transplant wild strawberries? Looked through my foraging book and google, looks like the mock strawberries have yellow flowers and there isn't any poisonous looks a likes. I found these at my in-laws gonna try and transplant. Safe?
I haven't transplanted, but I did set up a bed around them and cultivated them. Once in a blue moon, I got a berry as large as the end of my thumb, but most were around half an inch. They were very tasty, moreso than any of my everbearing strawberries. They did not keep well at all, and from a pretty big (15x15?-ish) patch, I only got about a quart a day at the top of the season, though admittedly, the soil was not great. They were June-bearing, as are all wild strawberries, apparently.

I gave up (because the patch was infested with spiky weeds, among other problems), and bought a domesticated (everbearing) variety to plant elsewhere. Now I've decided I don't like those, and am trying to plant some June-bearers for better flavor. I'm picky.

I haven't transplanted, but I did set up a bed around them and cultivated them. Once in a blue moon, I got a berry as large as the end of my thumb, but most were around half an inch. They were very tasty, moreso than any of my everbearing strawberries. They did not keep well at all, and from a pretty big (15x15?-ish) patch, I only got about a quart a day at the top of the season, though admittedly, the soil was not great. They were June-bearing, as are all wild strawberries, apparently.

I gave up (because the patch was infested with spiky weeds, among other problems), and bought a domesticated (everbearing) variety to plant elsewhere. Now I've decided I don't like those, and am trying to plant some June-bearers for better flavor. I'm picky.
You have educated me. I suppose June bearing would be better tasting. Now, I need you to come plant some strawberries for me. I can’t get them to survive! :oops:

You have educated me. I suppose June bearing would be better tasting. Now, I need you to come plant some strawberries for me. I can’t get them to survive! :oops:
I had a lot of trouble with bare-roots to start with, and after thirty-three of my thirty-five originals either didn't start, or died after a week, I had to buy potted plants (oh, the shame of it) from the greenhouse.

I did get this last batch of June-bearers to start and grow, in Miracle-Grow potting soil (yep, I'm that kind of cheat. Don't tell anyone), with a lot of water and starting them in a sheltered location. Even so, half of them died. Though since the root systems weren't pretty to start with, so I'm going to blame Gurney's for this.

Don't be discouraged. Experiment. And once you get one started, use it. I had a lot of luck propagating new plants from runners.

I did a thing because sales and free shipping...
1653310548421.png
They'll be here this week, darn plant math.

Got some work to do on the garden beds today, fingers crossed the weather holds and isn't horrible. They say rain... Doesn't look like rain :confused:

I think I need to try mixing a few bags of straight compost or potting soil into the garden beds. Between the heat and the quality of the garden soil we bought most of my plants are not doing awesome. My bush beans and sugar snaps keeled over, it was too much for them! The tomatoes have done nothing, the radish gave up, the garlic is dying early and the bulbs aren't fully formed.... Fingers crossed they hang in a couple more weeks and I get an actual harvest. Plant earlier, I get the message, lol.

Talking to DH about a greenhouse for winter starts and shade cloths for summer growing. This climate is just not garden friendly. I researched, just to try to understand what was happening, at what temperature do garden plants start to die back. Google said over 90 starts to be detrimental, with anything over 100 affecting everything but the most heat tolerant varieties. *sigh*

Anybody live in Kentucky? Lol. How is it?

Back
Top Bottom