What did you do in the garden today?

Like @TJAnonymous my squash & cukes are covered/under bug netting so I have no choice. I do love bug free (so far) plants tho! This is my first year trying it, so far so good. I'm thinking of covering my rutabaga too as @Acre4Me says the loopers like them (I think that's what she said!) but if I don't get moving it'll be too late, lol.

I should consider trying bug netting. The pests here are terrible.

Wow, that’s full of flies? What bait do you use?

Be careful with your sugar please, that sounds scary!
I got the refill at ACE hardware not sure what brand . I bought 2 other traps as True Value had them 2 for $10.00 . Kind of a green color lid the other has a black lid . So now is it the bait or lid color making the difference ?

Good morning everyone. We got some rain at some point during the night, my flip flops were full of water when I went outside earlier. It wasn’t much I’m sure, but at least we got something. This morning I’m transplanting the little lilac to s pot, then I’ll work on the shed until it gets too warm. After that I have housework. Tomorrow I’m going to get more dirt for the veg garden so I can get the three sisters going pretty soon also. Hubs needs to build me some cages to keep the birds out of the seed, good thing next weekend is a long one! I haven’t seen @Wee Farmer Sarah in a few days, I hope all is well! Keep your nails dirty folks.
I’m still here @igorsMistress. Crazy week. My chickens stopped laying completely over a week ago. Then Monday I cut the cable cord. This saves me $100 per month, but adjusting to streaming only is stressful. I’m a local news junky but I’m getting better. We don’t get over the air channels because I’m in a bit of a valley and surrounded by trees. I’m also up to my ears in leafy green vegetables. The garden is doing well mostly. Cucumbers and okra plants are not growing all that well. And I lost another tomatillo plant. The remaining one is a cucumber beetle magnet. I’ll be spraying after I water again. I felt bad I had no eggs to give to my local food pantry this week so I gave them two bags of lettuce and endive. I picked kale and chard this morning. I also thinned my second planting of kale so I have a nice bunch of baby kale for a couple of salads. I’ve been trying to catch up, but I just gave up on that. Sorry. Have a great day.
Today’s haul. (I’ll be freezing kale today) I had picked a bunch on Thursday. PS the chickens are laying again. Yay!
AE6F4848-C7E9-4970-ADD9-4871A77EA7A7.jpeg

Lots of rain during the night . Cloudy now . No motivation so maybe rest today .I got a lot done yesterday . Finished stairs on the deck , washed my bedding , washed a load of dishes , mowed and cooked 3 meals . Wife does not get around very well anymore . I told her you can't get a contractor to do all that . Working is good physical therapy for me . I have improved on this trip .

I have to hand pollinate my squash because it is inside my hoop house so doesn't have access to pollinators. I also "helped" pollinate my tomatoes and sweet corn which are also inside the hoop house. What I find interesting is that the tomatoes that I "help" set WAY more fruit than tomatoes outside the hoop house which I don't hand pollinate.
Hmmm maybe I'll have to hand pollinate my tomatoes I like having too many lol! We are building a hoop house this year I'm pretty excited about year round gardening

I ended up cutting down almost everything in the shade garden. Moved one of the grow bags with EWO to a different spot, the hibiscus doesn’t dig all the water it’s getting. Those grow bags are not great, they’re already falling apart from the sun and they’re in the shade for the most part. Mulched stuff with the last of the rice hulls, won’t buy those again as they break down pretty quickly. Still have the jalapeño plant, lavender, jasmine and jessamine plus a couple of birds of paradise in there, but I’m yanking the herbs, they’re a few years old and looking sad. Will leave the empty spaces until next year and work on the weeds and getting the mulch to break down some, but there’s much more room for planting now. The weeds are a low growing thing that’s all over and it’s annoying. Have to pull back the straw, yank em out and then put the straw back. I think I’m going to try my longest soaker hose in there since I ordered a ring for the small trees and shrubs, and I’m hoping the shorter one will work around the lemon tree. When I moved the lilac it hadn’t grown any more roots to speak of than what it had when I planted it and there were a LOT of ants in there. Little :rantbit me so I gave them some baits to enjoy.

I got the refill at ACE hardware not sure what brand . I bought 2 other traps as True Value had them 2 for $10.00 . Kind of a green color lid the other has a black lid . So now is it the bait or lid color making the difference ?
I have had good luck with whatever walmart and TSC carry, but sometimes I get bait that doesn’t work well. Maybe it’s old, I’ll try our Ace here and see what they have, thanks!

I’m still here @igorsMistress. Crazy week. My chickens stopped laying completely over a week ago. Then Monday I cut the cable cord. This saves me $100 per month, but adjusting to streaming only is stressful. I’m a local news junky but I’m getting better. We don’t get over the air channels because I’m in a bit of a valley and surrounded by trees. I’m also up to my ears in leafy green vegetables. The garden is doing well mostly. Cucumbers and okra plants are not growing all that well. And I lost another tomatillo plant. The remaining one is a cucumber beetle magnet. I’ll be spraying after I water again. I felt bad I had no eggs to give to my local food pantry this week so I gave them two bags of lettuce and endive. I picked kale and chard this morning. I also thinned my second planting of kale so I have a nice bunch of baby kale for a couple of salads. I’ve been trying to catch up, but I just gave up on that. Sorry. Have a great day.
Today’s haul. (I’ll be freezing kale today) I had picked a bunch on Thursday. PS the chickens are laying again. Yay!
View attachment 3162635
Good to hear from you! Nice haul today, wow! Do you freeze the kale fresh? Or blanch it first?

Glad your crew is laying again!

Back
Top Bottom