What did you do in the garden today?

The sweet potatoes are doing well! I’m sure they were a bit miffed by the cold (48F) temps early this morning, but otherwise all are sprouting new leaves. Many of them (10 varieties) have kept their leaves that were present upon delivery. But, some of them have lost all their original leaves and are producing all new ones. Oh yeah, I’m going to be in trouble in a few weeks with all the vines…along with the melon vines…
Did you know that the leaves of sweet potatoes are edible? It's in the morning glory family, not related to potatoes. I tried to grow them one year and ate a couple of the leaves. Bleah. Tough and fuzzy is how I'd describe them. Maybe they'd be ok cooked, but I didn't try it. Didn't get any sweet potatoes, either, so that was a one time experiment.
Potatoes are starting to turn yellow. I could dig them now, but I remember Papa's potatoes were always nearly dead when he dug them. I'll wait another week.
I do the same, I let the plants totally die before I did the potatoes. I mark where the plant was with a stake so I know where to dig. I usually leave them in the ground until they start talking about frost. I have enough to do at that time of year, so mother nature can store the taters for me for a couple weeks.

But, your climate is totally different, so this might be no help at all...

Anyone ever grown Blue Salvia? I picked up a little plant for 25 cents from the clearance aisle. Do they reseed themselves? This was marked as an annual but everything I see online suggests it is a perennial.
I do. It is stupid picky about spreading and seeding. Mostly it just gets bigger if it's happy where it's at.

I haven't read this entire thread of 4801 pages so maybe this topic has been discussed. I'm going to bring it up anyway. Tulle, the miracle fabric! I have had such great success using tulle in my garden this year! I make row covers, plant pot covers, wrap it around the stems of my squash plants and pumpkin plants etc (anything that a vine borer or vine bug would want access to). covers for my tomatoes to keep the horn worms away and on and on lol. The squirrels, mice, birds (including chickens) etc, hate the feel of it and won't go near it. You can water the plant through it, it doesn't block sunlight, it comes in just about any color you can imagine and is relatively cheap. I got a 54" x 40 yd bolt for something like 18 dollars on Amazon. You can do so many things with tulle in the garden. I even stapled some onto my sun hat to keep the bugs off my face while I'm working in the garden lol! One other benefit that I am finding...the tulle laying on the soil around the plants helps keep the soil wet longer, you don't have to water as often! Does anyone else use it in the garden?

Last edited:
I think I need to fertilize it... However I got some seeds last year from yellow watermelons. We didn't know if they would be fertile since some of those hybrids are genetically modified. Well I started some and they sprouted! I'm hopeful to get yellow watermelons!

Otherwise, my tomatoes look horrible but the one is flowering, my peppers and brussel sprouts look good. Not confident on my radishes and green beans nor carrots. 🙄😬

I really. A terrible gardener

I think I need to fertilize it... However I got some seeds last year from yellow watermelons. We didn't know if they would be fertile since some of those hybrids are genetically modified. Well I started some and they sprouted! I'm hopeful to get yellow watermelons!

Otherwise, my tomatoes look horrible but the one is flowering, my peppers and brussel sprouts look good. Not confident on my radishes and green beans nor carrots. 🙄😬

I really. A terrible gardener
as for your tomatoes...first, how often do you water them? Second, are they planted near potatoes? have you tried planting basil close to them? (like a foot away at the most) Are they getting a minimum of 8 hours of direct sunlight, 10 is better?

Back
Top Bottom