What did you do in the garden today?

Today I made a batch of corn & cherry tomato salsa. Now I’m working on making Mango Jalapeño Pepper jelly.
In the garden, I finally got my 1st zucchini of the season.
I’m still battling the squash bugs. I’m not seeing very many adults , the juveniles I’m seeing are getting squished. I thought I was almost finished seeing eggs but now I’m seeing them on the leaves of a tomato plant 😳 that is near the zucchini. Sneaky bugs. 😡

They have been really bad this year! I can't believe I'm still dealing with them too. Leaf-footed bugs are on everything.

I picked some pears today. There's still a bunch on the tree but I'm too short to pick them. Lol

IMG_20220817_202031969.jpg

The only things I have growing is 4 patty pan squash plants and two tomato plants. I have 7 squashes in my fridge, we ate two tonight. These were Peter Pan variety, they are quite good if harvested at 3 to 4 inches otherwise the skin gets tough. It's only DH and myself, so we may have to find someone to share with! The maters aren't doing much, only have one sad little fruit on. Lack of pollinators? They do have blossoms. May have to get out there with a paint brush and tickle them a bit. One's a Better Boy, the other is an Early Girl? Something Girl. Phht, I've forgotten. This is the most I've been able to garden in several years. Feels good.

I pulled grass for two or three minutes. That was all the time I had to spare for the garden this evening. It was hot and muggy today, which feels really weird when humidity is usually between 20 and 30%. Hot and muggy tends to keep me indoors.

In other news I made biscuits from sourdough discard tonight. They came out all right. Could have been better. But as a first try, not too bad really. Tomorrow depending on what stage the starter is in, I'll see about making up an actual loaf. Y'all wish me luck, it's a whole new world of baking for me. I have zero sourdough experience.

That would make sense or I just got really lucky? I've seen other people use the same one I have and they didn't have issues either so it's good to know if I need to specify to use this brand only, lol. It was Stanley or something? I'll go look.

This one
View attachment 3226751
Yep that's what I use.

Yep that's what I use.

Well that's so weird! I read more about it after you said something and it said it's ground into a meal and pressed into pellets so when you rehydrate your just left with the meal. 🤷‍♀️ I'm stumped on this one but it worked as a fantastic amendment for us with no seed issues and it was suggested by other gardeners that have been using it for years. This was my first year using it though.

I pulled grass for two or three minutes. That was all the time I had to spare for the garden this evening. It was hot and muggy today, which feels really weird when humidity is usually between 20 and 30%. Hot and muggy tends to keep me indoors.

In other news I made biscuits from sourdough discard tonight. They came out all right. Could have been better. But as a first try, not too bad really. Tomorrow depending on what stage the starter is in, I'll see about making up an actual loaf. Y'all wish me luck, it's a whole new world of baking for me. I have zero sourdough experience.
Good luck! It’s different for sure, but fun to play with.

Back
Top Bottom