What did you do in the garden today?

I say neglected, I put tiny organza bags on each strawberry as it started to ripen so that we actually got to eat them instead of the squirrels but I neglected them in the sense that I didn't even give them potting soil, I tossed our crummy sandy soil in there, watered occasionally and never even fertilized. 😅 It's pretty impressive that they even survived in my opinion. lol

strawberries don't like fertilizers. I killed one before I found this information.

Morels? Or Shiitake?

I've hunted morels for 25+ years. There are several tree species that provide favorable environment - ash & elm are the most common but I've found them around others too like cottonwood, oak, hickory, etc...

Morels, it was something I watched on mushrooms but it was years ago so I don't remember well enough specifically what it said.
I barely remember what I ate for lunch yesterday, much less what I saw in a fungi documentary years ago. 😆
... actually, the more I think about it. I bet it was something from when I took a permaculture course.

You'll have to keep us updated if you do it! Everything I looked at other than the little oyster mushroom boxes was really expensive (at least in my opinion). Like I couldn't figure out how to keep them reproducing themselves to where it would be worth the investment. Hence my desire to pick the brain of the commercial grower! If I remember what the lady I was talking to said, he pays to dispose of his spent mushroom dirt and I'm also really tempted to ask him about that. I need to get his info, lol.

they use a lot of chemicals. I would not use that dirt for anything. a cousin of mine grows mushrooms commercially on a small scale. you cannot breathe if you pass by when they spray for disinfection. and they do it often.

It has been pouring and the rain was horizontal for a bit. We’ve lost power and I hear sirens in the distance. Winds are still pretty gusty.
We lost the biggest of the mesquite trees in the front yard and the two Mexican birds of paradise in the xeriscape garden. Neighbors lost a bunch of shingles. There’s damage to the garden fence in the backyard. Power is still out. The chickens are dry and their coop is still in one piece. My grandson brought me this little battery operated candle to use as a flashlight :gig
4B6C8254-8698-4137-A03D-240D54795B2C.jpeg

We lost the biggest of the mesquite trees in the front yard and the two Mexican birds of paradise in the xeriscape garden. Neighbors lost a bunch of shingles. There’s damage to the garden fence in the backyard. Power is still out. The chickens are dry and their coop is still in one piece. My grandson brought me this little battery operated candle to use as a flashlight :gig
View attachment 3228126
Stay safe!

Planted out buttercrunch lettuce, mizuna, radish, carrots, mustard greens (experiment), kale, spinach, collards (experiment), cabbage (experiment), and what else? I'll have to look again later, lol.
Fall planted mustard greens do great here and the colder the weather the sweeter the greens.
I drove out to friends place and picked up a couple of 18 month/2year old Icelandic Rooster. One only has one eye, but he's wonderful
I'll get pictures of Odin and Thor tomorrow.
OMG! Those names, :clap :bow :clap
It has been pouring and the rain was horizontal for a bit. We’ve lost power and I hear sirens in the distance. Winds are still pretty gusty.
Stay safe!

Canned 10 pints of bread & butter pickles and they all sealed. I'm going to throw out the no name sleeve of lids I got last year, I've had several seals fail on those. About 1 in 12 failure rate and it just isn't worth it.

Back
Top Bottom