What did you do in the garden today?

Today tomatoes were planted. We have 23 planted. The trellises for squash are up. Will work in getting those planted tomorrow.
Tomato season is almost over here. By the end of June it will be to hot for them, except for the wild tomatoes.

I’ve got a good bed of wild tomatoes, but there’s a broody hen inside of the bed that is picking off the tomatoes as they ripen.

IMG_5120.jpeg

In my sweet potato bed I have a few small wild tomatoes that are producing well.

IMG_5151.jpeg

I did a walk-around this evening. My Seminole pumpkin stand is thriving. Several pumpkins being formed. The bed will likely quadruple in size or more by summer’s end.

IMG_5109.jpeg
IMG_5110.jpeg

We’re not getting enough rain for the bananas. I’ve been watering them at random times whenever I’m near them with a hose.
IMG_5159.jpeg
IMG_5160.jpeg

Figs are looking great. They’re growing right beside a permanent coop and no doubt getting all of that chicken manure goodness.

IMG_5117.jpeg
IMG_5118.jpeg

I did a walk-around this evening. My Seminole pumpkin stand is thriving. Several pumpkins being formed. The bed will likely quadruple in size or more by summer’s end.

View attachment 3522716View attachment 3522717

We’re not getting enough rain for the bananas. I’ve been watering them at random times whenever I’m near them with a hose. View attachment 3522718View attachment 3522719

Figs are looking great. They’re growing right beside a permanent coop and no doubt getting all of that chicken manure goodness.

View attachment 3522721 View attachment 3522722
Your fig looks great! My two were frozen to the ground by the December snap, so I won't get too many this year.

Have you grown your pumpkins that way before?
I want to plant a bunch of winter squash, but I'm hesitant because there is no way I am going to be able to keep the wild vegetation from growing up through it. I wondered if the shade from the leaves might be enough to crowd out the weeds.

Your fig looks great! My two were frozen to the ground by the December snap, so I won't get too many this year.

Have you grown your pumpkins that way before?
I want to plant a bunch of winter squash, but I'm hesitant because there is no way I am going to be able to keep the wild vegetation from growing up through it. I wondered if the shade from the leaves might be enough to crowd out the weeds.
Yes, I grow them this way every year, except last year I tried a different technique that didn’t work as well.

I start by using a chicken tractor to raise a big batch of bitties on for several months. I throw grass clipping, scraps, and other compostable materials in and let the chicks compost them in place. When its time for them to be turned out to free range, I move the coop and plant the pumpkins or tomatoes.

IMG_5165.jpeg

In the past they’ve taken over my entire yard growing them this way.

Last year I tried growing them a long way from the house where I used to give cows hay. I though the hay and manure would give them enough compost, but they didn’t thrive.

This year I went back to using the chicken tractor method, but on the edge of my yard so they can’t shade out the rest of my garden. The “tractor” is one of the TS steel coops that I drag with my truck from one patch of ground to the next.

IMG_5108.jpeg
IMG_5106.jpeg

Yes, they will shade out or starve out most things they grow around. I have a lone okra plant braving the pumpkins but I think it will make it. The chicken dirt is rich enough to support both I think.

Have you tried Heat Master tomatoes? It was bred to set fruit in hot weather environments.

https://tomatogrowers.com/products/heatmaster-hybrid?_pos=5&_sid=e7f09db8b&_ss=r
I have not, and would be open to trying. Besides the heat, the other issue here is poor soil. I only know of one large fruited heirloom tomato that likes it on my farm. Otherwise I have to depend on my wild tomatoes. I’d love to figure out other varieties that will thrive here.

I’ve tried Cherokee purples here two years in a row and it was a waste of my effort.

Back
Top Bottom