What did you do in the garden today?

Mini marshmallows. Works - they must love marshmallows in this area. We’ve tried cat food (wet and smelly) but it was messy. Never tried hard boiled eggs though, but that would seem like an easy idea too, and smelly enough for the raccoons to be aware of the bait.

Now I'm totally getting a package of marshmallows to give to our squirrels to see if they like them, lol...then again I don't want to attract raccoons. 😅

Trying to catch up. Late to the discussion on rooting powder. I use it on cuttings and it helps. However there is more to rooting cuttings. Some things will not root no matter what you do. Some are difficult and some species root easily. Dormant hardwood cuttings need 80 - 85 degrees to form callous tissue and roots plus humidity. Summer semi hardwood cuttings often do well. Since summer is hot they get the temps they need. You must learn what works for each species.

I use Duck weed for supplemental Tilapia and chicken feed, it has 40% protein, so its good to have around. I have an interesting tilapia living in my Duck weed tank, its a small species that don't get big and it lives off string algae. When I introduced 4 pieces of Duck weed in this tank, it did not eat the duck weed, it only ate string algae.
The 4 Duck weed took about a month to fill this tank to the brim. It seems like the duck weed double everyday.

I have large white Nile tilapia living below in a deeper tank that love to eat duck weed, they can grow larger than 10lbs. White Nile Tilapia is an excellent frying fish, it turns golden when fried.

I tried to raise prawns in my duck weed tank, but the 12 inch depth was too shallow, they all eventually jumped out.

View attachment 3533179
View attachment 3533216

I am dreaming about fish but no luck in finding it here.

Cloudy and no wind this morning so I treated all the tomato plants with Rot Stop spray.
When the sun came out later in the day, I watered the whole garden and cleaned the hummingbird feeders and rehung them. The male that stayed is DARK and has a very orange throat, not shocking red. Interesting.
So far, everything looks good.
Screenshot 2023-06-08 17.34.05.png
Screenshot 2023-06-08 17.33.36.png

Since I have a nice volunteer patch of pumpkins in the compost pile, I decided to go ahead and uncover the new pumpkin/melon/watermelon trellis that's in the garden. I stuffed the insect netting all down around the bottom of the pumpkin vines. I also took long strips of t-shirt material (I was saving for a tshirt rug) and wrapped the pumpkin vines at the bottom as much as I could. Of course, there's absolutely NO WAY I can protect the entire plant(s) except to keep the netting over the whole she-bang but that would mean hand-pollinating everything and I have enough of that to do already with everything inside the hoop house. So I'm just going to have to take my chances with the SVB and hope that I have enough of the plant protected to limit as much damage as possible. :fl:fl:fl

I used strips of socks. I'm hoping it helps prevent SVBs. I've not had a good harvest of squash since I moved here.
View attachment 3534034

Have either of you tried using kaolin clay to dissuade vine borers? I guess there's some evidence it works. I've been reading about this season but never tried it myself.

https://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=21085

Back
Top Bottom