What did you do in the garden today?

Cold, windy today. Says 50F, but, not with the wind.

Planted a replacement Tree peony . We planted 3 in the fall, two are sprouting. But the third was dead. They sent a replacement, so I got it in today. Hopefully this one lives!

Looking towards April 8- wondering if there will be clear skies for those important few minutes of the eclipse. I’m not very far off the centerline, so about 4 min of totality. All schools are cancelled that day. Spring is often cloudy here…but we just need a few minutes of clear skies!!

A double bloom of Cicadas to sing in the Spring!

A Double Emergence of Periodical Cicadas Isn’t Cicada-geddon—It’s a Marvel​

The U.S. will see two adjacent broods of periodical cicadas emerge this spring
By Meghan Bartels

Adult periodical cicada sitting on a blade of grass

Late spring and early summer in the forests of the eastern half of the U.S. have been eerily quiet for the past two years. In most years, long-lived periodical cicadas thrum through the region, but a quirk of timing means these insects have been sparse since 2021. This year, though, they’re roaring back.

That’s because 2024 will see two separate batches of periodical cicadas emerge en masse, spread across much of the eastern half of the U.S. These insects crawl out of the ground once every 13 or 17 years for a rush of mating and egg-laying until all the adults die, and the next generation is tucked underground until their own teenage years. It’s an unusual but ancient lifecycle that has become part of the fabric of Eastern U.S. forests. And it will be on full display this spring, with both a 13-year brood and a 17-year brood emerging across adjoining territories—a particularly rare occurrence. 😍

Scientific American

By Meghan Bartels

Late spring and early summer in the forests of the eastern half of the U.S. have been eerily quiet for the past two years. In most years, long-lived periodical cicadas thrum through the region, but a quirk of timing means these insects have been sparse since 2021. This year, though, they’re roaring back.

That’s because 2024 will see two separate batches of periodical cicadas emerge en masse, spread across much of the eastern half of the U.S. These insects crawl out of the ground once every 13 or 17 years for a rush of mating and egg-laying until all the adults die, and the next generation is tucked underground until their own teenage years. It’s an unusual but ancient lifecycle that has become part of the fabric of Eastern U.S. forests. And it will be on full display this spring, with both a 13-year brood and a 17-year brood emerging across adjoining territories—a particularly rare occurrence. 😍

Scientific American
My poultry will be pre-composting them. They have loved the few that come out every year.

That's awesome. I made the mistake of trying to use mostly native soil on two of my garden beds when we were grading the backyard when we moved here. It has taken me a long time to get them into good shape. Our native soil is a sandy loam for about 2ft down, then it's a hard clay for as deep as I can go with a shovel. Yuck. Soil pH, 8.2. water is super hard, pH of 7.9 most of the year. The deeper into dry season, the harder the water is. So I'm constantly monitoring my soil. I have to use RO water for all of my spray mixes. 😂

I use the Kellogg organic stuff in my other soil mixes. But I added a lot of peat, and then did hugel beds for my last three raised beds. One of them is 6 years old and it's fantastic soil. I love it! Highly recommend. There's a thread around here somewhere..... Ah yes, Thread 'Hügelkultur Raised Beds' https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hügelkultur-raised-beds.1604433/

Adding wood and cuttings to the bottom of my raised beds changed the game.
I have added that to the bottom too. And my soil sounds like yours. That's why we use this local guy. He uses his own aged manure mixture in it. I'm really hoping this year will be better.

By Meghan Bartels

Scientific American
We haven't had enough trees for enough generations here to have many of them. In fact, we only started seeing/hearing them here about 10 years ago.
When we lived in Ohio, we were there for a double brood hatching.
There were piles everywhere. There were even contests for who could bring in the most of them and win a VW Bug car. Radio station contest.
People were bringing them in by the garbage bag full.

We haven't had enough trees for enough generations here to have many of them. In fact, we only started seeing/hearing them here about 10 years ago.
When we lived in Ohio, we were there for a double brood hatching.
There were piles everywhere. There were even contests for who could bring in the most of them and win a VW Bug car. Radio station contest.
People were bringing them in by the garbage bag full.
How amazing .. thanks for sharing that!

Good afternoon all. I went camping but came home early. Lots of people, no privacy for bathroom needs and I had a rattlesnake under my car. I had to leave my awesome spot and move to a more open area. Lots of noise from generators, blah.

View attachment 3784723View attachment 3784724
That tree photo is so beautiful! That rattle snake, I would have taken out my revolver and turned it into dinner. Yum! That's a decent size snake!

By Meghan Bartels

Scientific American
OMG this is so amazing!!!!!! I love cicadas!!! I used to put their shells all over everything when I was a kid. 😂 We have them here but they are few and far between. A small variety as well so they're hard to hear and id. I sit and listen every year trying to find them as they don't track the emergence here. Californians are not into it I guess.

Back
Top Bottom